Storing PDF's in third party cloud services while maintaining access across devices (Mac and iPad)

edited December 15, 2023
Hello,

I've been using Zotero for a while, and it's been a crucial tool for managing my research. Recently, I've been considering a shift from Zotero's cloud services to utilizing my existing third party services, that is iCloud or Google Drive, when it comes to storing my PDFs. Is this possible to achieve so Zotero - no matter if it is on Mac or iPad - pulls the PDFs from let's say iCloud?

Before I make any moves, I wanted to tap into the community's experiences. So, here are a few questions:

1. Has anyone successfully migrated their Zotero PDF library to a third party service like iCloud or Google Drive?
2. Did you encounter any unexpected challenges or issues during the transfer or afterwards?
3. How's the experience been with accessing your Zotero library on the iPad app after the switch to your existing cloud service?
4. Any practical tips or best practices for a smooth transition?

I'm looking for some practical advice here, so if you've navigated a similar path, I'd greatly appreciate your insights. Thanks in advance!
  • Is this possible to achieve so Zotero - no matter if it is on Mac or iPad - pulls the PDFs from let's say iCloud?
    No. You can't access linked files from the mobile app or the website. The only 3rd party storage that will work for this is a WebDAV server which I don't believe either GoogleDrive or iCloud provide