Open PDF in separate viewer (not the browser)

I noticed that in the latest dev versions PDF attachments open in the browser (not in a separate PDF reader). While there are some advantages for using a browser plugin when viewing PDFs online (e.g. the first few pages are displayed before the complete document is downloaded), it is usually more pleasant to use a separate reader. The browser toolbar, tabs, Zotero pane etc. are just taking away precious screen space when viewing the PDF inside the broswer; fullscreen mode does not work. The PDF attachments in Zotero are already downloaded to the hard drive so I see no advantage in opening the PDF inside the browser.

If possible, please add an option to open certain attachment types in a separate viewer.
  • Doesn't Firefox control how pdf's are opened?

Have you checked in the Firefox Preferences dialog, the Content tab, and the last section in which you can "Configure how Firefox manages certain types of files". When you click the "Manage..." button, you should be able to configure which application will open pdfs.

If that doesn't work and/or if you'd prefer even more control, you could also try the "PDF Download" extension for Firefox, which allows you to chose how a pdf will be dealt with each time one is opened:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/636

In any case, I think how pdfs are opened is a Firefox rather than a Zotero setting. I think Zotero just passes the request to open to Firefox, which then uses whatever settings you have configured.
  • Yes, I know that I can control how Firefox opens PDFs. I know about PDF Download too (though I did not find it very useful, and it does not work when PDFs are opened from Zotero).

As I said, when viewing PDFs online, it is advantageous to use the browser (because with the plugin it is not necessary to wait for the download to complete before the first few pages can be viewed), so I would like to keep this feature. But PDFs in the Zotero database are already downloaded, so there is no need to open them in the browser.

With the previous version of Zotero, Zotero PDFs opened in a separate viewer [on my machine, WinXP], while other PDF links opened in the broswer. Therefore it must be possible to achieve this behaviour.

Other reasons why it would be nice to have this feature:
    * The Zotero pane is taking up some additional screen space (closing/opening it is an additional mouse-click)
    * Users are more likely to spend a long time reading Zotero PDFs, than other random PDFs during web-browsing.
    * It is easier to open several PDFs this way.
  • Hi again,

I just installed PDF Download as an experiment, and you're right, it doesn't intercept how Zotero opens pdf files.

That was really my basic idea for you. I choose to open all pdfs in a stand-alone application rather than with a browser plug-in, so I don't encounter the same issue.

Sorry I wasn't of more help. But I do think you're making good points about the feature.
  • New hidden pref launchNonNativeFiles added to the dev branch.
  • Thanks! This is very useful! :-)
This discussion has been closed.