Question Re: Mac upgrade to new M2 computer from Intel Mac

edited December 4, 2023
Would I be better to simply use Time Machine to clone my current Zotero 7 beta version or to install a new version of the 7 beta and sync in my library? Thanks
  • it shouldn't matter either way. I'd probably sync for convenience assuming you have unlimited (or sufficient) storage -- one of the reasons I pay for storage is to never think about details of moving the data directory again.
  • My question was more along the line of, "Does Zotero at the time of download recognize the OS and computer technical aspects and send a version specific to the requesting machine's needs?" Thanks
  • No, the Mac version is a universal build for Intel and Apple Silicon. Just using Migration Assistant is fine.

(Data isn’t affected here either way, though, so you would always be able to use a data directory copied from another platform.)
  • I've just used migration assistant to move to a new macbook. I only migrated my user account and installed all software anew, and I was up and running in an hour (if you have a thunderbolt cable, use that, so much faster).
  • Hello!
    I read this thread, but I must have gone wrong somewhere. I just upgraded from an Intel Mac to an M3. The version of Zotero I had, that came across with migration assistant, was Intel only. When I deleted and reinstalled it was still Intel only. How do I get the Universal version?

Thanks!
  • @sharkynichol: Zotero 6 is Intel-only. The Zotero 7 beta is universal.