How to enable Automatic auto-update

I get the message that update is available but i do not have permissions to install it. To update automatically i have to modify the Zotero Program Directory to be writable by your user account.
Would really appreciate if someone can point me how to execute the above or if a link already exists to address this( i looked but dint find it).
I looked in FAQ too.
thanks in advance.
A newbie @ Zotero!
  • What operating system? Linux, Mac, Windows? Unless your computer is managed by an institution such as a university or your company, you should be able to one-time set the directory to be writable. Do you use some special security software that might be preventing Zotero from updating?
  • I am using Windows OS & its a personal laptop so no firewall etc . Also how to "one time set the directory to be writable."? as u mention? . Also earlier I came across a closed thread which mentioned resetting app.update.mode (currently set to '2').
    "https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/80373/automatic-auto-update"

But unsure where to find this app,update.mode

ur valued guidance will be greatly appreciated.
  • Just let us help you — don't try to follow things from years-old threads that you don't understand. That setting has nothing to do with this.

You'd get an error if you have multiple Windows user accounts and are currently using a non-administrator account. Is that the case?

If you're using an admin account, something odd happened with your folder permissions. Maybe you copied files from another computer? You should uninstall Zotero, delete C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero manually, and then reinstall from the download page. Your data won't be affected.
  • Yes U r right..about
    "You'd get an error if you have multiple Windows user accounts and are currently using a non-administrator account. Is that the case?"
    I am using a local account & not Admin account...so how to proceed to resolve the Auto Update issue.
    Thanks in advance
  • What I'd recommend is to
    1) Make an update of your data directory (likely not needed, this is just for extra security): https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data#backing_up_your_zotero_data
    2) Uninstall Zotero -- you'll need to use an admin account for this
    3) Re-install Zotero using your local account. When prompted for an admin password, click cancel. Zotero will then install locally.

On standard Windows set-ups this will work fine and will allow you to auto-update Zotero in the future.
  • Thanks a bunch for your input..I have one doubt..me uninstalling using Admin account & then reinstalling using Local account how is it different from my original scenario wen i directly installed using Local account & dint have to UnInstall as i dint have it originally. Except the "When prompted for an admin password, click cancel. Zotero will then install locally." step..dont recall if i used Cancel option before wen i installed Zotero for the 1st time.

thanks once Again..
  • After uninstalling as Admin & When installing Zotero using Local user its asking "Do u want to allow this app to make changes to your device" asking for Admin pwd...& Yes No option..Not sure if i click Yes( & put password) or No here.
    Asking so many questions as i dont want to mess up..i hope u understand..
    thanks in advance..
  • Thanks your suggestion has worked! Really appreciate it!
This discussion has been closed.