Pubmed abstract field

Hello,
When I am doing some searches on pubmed and i import the references i found on zotero, i find only the citations in zotero but i dont find the abstracts. normally if i import the references from endnote i will have the abstracts displayed in the notes field on the right panel.
Why zotero is not displaying the abstract in the note field when i import the references directly from pubmed website?
Thank you
Paul
  • Please give example URLs.
  • This doesn't appear to be a general issue, at least with Zotero 2.0rc - records where an abstract is available within Pubmed work fine for me (note that not all pubmed records have abstracts, and clearly if pubmed doesn't have the abstract Zotero can't import it).

Example URL that works for me:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20118040?log$=activity

It also works fine when saving the same article from the search results page.

Paul - Given this, example URLs of records which don't work for you are even more important.
  • I have the same problem. In fact, not one reference I tried was imported with abstract. For instance,
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20133091?itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum&ordinalpos=3

The rest seems to be OK. I'm using Firefox 3.6 and the latest version of Zotero.
  • That imports an abstract for me. Are you sure you're looking in the right place? The Abstract field in the right-hand pane, below the last author? You have to click "(...)" to expand the field if it's collapsed.

If you're positive, hover over the address bar icon to see what translator Zotero is using to save.
  • I am sorry for my late reply.
    True Dan, the link provided by ajdbarros works perfectly for me.
    In fact Zotero is in indeed displaying the abstract (look at the right pane under the info tab) but it was my mistake since I moved from Endnote to Z, I supposed that abstracts are displayed in a note file. But adamsmith nicely explained it to me that its a field tag prob while importing from Endnote.
    Anyways thank you all guys I am very impressed by the speed in which questions and problems are taking care of. Bravo!
    Paul
  • Dan, thanks for the tip. I was misled the same way Paul was. Having imported references from Endnote, abstracts appeared as a note. But when importing from the site, abstracts go to the correct field - a little bit difficult to spot given its importance. But it's there!

Congrats for the support quality and speed. It's reassuring when considering migration to a new system that is central to my work.

Best, Barros
  • I'm totally new to Zotero, and I have (more of) the same problem described above.

Maybe I've misunderstood how to import references into Z, but as I open a page in PubMed (for example one of the examples in this discussion) and then choose "Create a new post from the present page" no reference detailes is included in the appropriate fields (no authors, no abstract... nothing, just the Title of the page, the URL and so on).

If I choose "Add item by Identifier" and manually give the PMID, everything is added to the post nicely.

But, isn't the "site translators" (in this case for PubMed) supposed to handle this when reading the page with a PubMed reference item?

Thank you for any help and or information regarding this.
    /Jan Lisspers
  • That post drifts off-topic to this thread, but you want to use the capture icon in your firefox address bar & not the "create new item button from current page" button in zotero. See

http://www.zotero.org/support/getting_stuff_into_your_library#automatically_capture_bibliographic_information_from_the_web