Choice of secondary sort criteria is limited. "Extra" field is not available

Good afternoon, dear Zotero Support and community
I have entered in my Zotero Library a series of scientific reports published by an international scientific institute. These reports belong to the same Collection and have their own Volume Number. They are composed of many Chapters, each of which having its own DOI.
I entered each chapter (which is a publication in itself) as a "Book Chapter" item.
As important fields are missing in the "Book Chapter" document type, I added them in the "Extra" field as recommended in the Zotero documentation. So, in the "Extra" field, I entered the two following lines:

Chapter Number: xx
DOI: 10.xxx

When the doduments are displayed in the Zotero main panel, I would like them to be first sorted according to the "Book Title" (which contains the Volume Number at the beginning) and then by "Chapter Number".
I then added in the Center Pane the additional column “Extra”, in which is displayed the first line of the "Extra" Field, i.e., "Chapter Number: xx". I can then get the items sorted according to this column as the first criteria by clicking on the column’s header. But, if I first select the "Publication" column (that contain he "Book Title" fields), the "Extra" column does not appear in the list of selectable choice for secondary sorting. Note that, when I first sort according to the "Extra" column, I can then choose "Publication" as the secondary sort field (but it does not make sense, I want the opposite).
Is there a solution to my problem? For example, can we select somewhere the secondary criteria that appear in the secondary sort field submenu? (I looked in the Preference, but I did not find).
Would it be something that could be added? Actually the choice of secondary sort field is quite limited (only 8 fields - in my case)?
Thank you for your advice
Benoît
  • Additional question:
    When the document is a Book Chapter, I would like to have the Chapter Number to be displayed in the Zotero Main Panel. This is why I added the line “Chapter Number: xx” first in the “Extra” field, since only the first line is displayed in the “Extra” column. But when the document is not a Book Chapter, I do not want the lines inserted in the “Extra” field to be displayed (it can be for example the “Publisher” when this field is not available – e.g. in a Journal Article document type).
    As only the first line is displayed in the “Extra” column of the Zotero main pane, I tried to insert a blank line in the Extra field. But the “Carriage Return” character is apparently ignored in the field even if preceded by “Space” characters. Is there a way to insert a blank line at the beginning of the “Extra” field?
    Or is there a simpler solution I have not thought of?
    Thank you for your advice
    Benito