Undo button

Hi all,

luckily I only had one link in the collection, and I had just created it so I was able to remake it, but I was trying to go "Back" in the browser and I got myself into trouble.

There are two ways to go back: use the mouse, or press "Backspace". For those of us who use the keyboard, this presents a problem as "backspace" will also delete what you're in in Zotero - which for me was a sub collection.

While it does pop up a 'are you sure' textbox, sometimes one just hits "enter" too quickly.

How hard would it be to create an undo /redo button to allow fools like me not to loose all their work?

Thanks,

Jay
  • My understanding was that backspace was supposed to be work as "delete selected item" only on Macs, since, as you note, backspace can have a very different meaning in web browsers.

I think that what you've found is a bug-- on Windows, items can't be deleted by pressing backspace, but collections currently can. The behavior in these two cases should be the same.
  • Thank you Ajlyon,

What would you recommend my next step be in reporting this? Is this sufficient (i.e are you involved with Zotero and will champion this further?), or is there an established procedure for this?

I ask because while I only lost one reference, the potential for someone to lose an entire subcategory, or worse, is very real.

Thanks,

Jay
  • Your backspace problems will surely have issues with other fields, outside of zotero.
    There are two ways to go back: use the mouse, or press "Backspace".
    Also, alt-left_arrow (which shouldn't have any problems with text input).
    Is this sufficient (i.e are you involved with Zotero and will champion this further?), or is there an established procedure for this?
    Zotero devs read every post here.
  • Jay,
    As noksagt noted, it's sufficient to identify bugs here on the forums. For now, noksagt's advice may do the trick. I imagine that this could get fixed in time for 2.0 final, since it looks like a loose end from a previous bug fix. (but note that I don't speak for the Zotero team and can't promise anything)
  • it looks like a loose end from a previous bug fix
    Yep.

I've unbound Backspace from collection delete on Windows/Linux in the latest dev build. Thanks.