Trouble with saved searches & pdf-index

Hi,
Since upgrading to v. 2rc2 my saved searches do not work anymore. I have also been unable to restore my pdf-index. I should probably add that I believe the problem might have to do with my large data base, including many pdf-files. Any idea what I could do to restore them?
Here is the error report ID: 960524050
Many thanks in advance!
  • There are no Zotero errors in there. Did you send in that error report immediately after restarting Firefox and attempting to load a saved search, before restarting Firefox again?
    my saved searches do not work anymore
    Meaning what?
    I have also been unable to restore my pdf-index.
    I don't know what you mean by this.
  • Sorry I have not expressed myself very clearly in my first message.
    When I try to load my saved searches I receive, after around 3 minutes of waiting, an error message saying that a script failed to load. Then I need to stop the script or FF crashes. I believe this might have to do with the fact that I include, in my saved searches, searches of "attachment content", and my search index is not completely built up, i.e., more than 600 pdfs could not be indexed. (My whole library currently contains more than 5000 items, the majority of which includes pdfs.) When I try to re-index them, I receive the same error message about a script not working.
    Let me also apologize for not having said earlier how much I appreciate Zotero. It has made my life as an academic so much better, and I have started recommending the use of your wonderful tool to my students. (They quickly become as hooked as I am.) Frankly, I cannot imagine anymore how I could organize my academic work without Zotero - many thanks again for your great ideas and dedication to this project!
  • Thanks very much.
    Then I need to stop the script or FF crashes.
    Have you tried clicking Continue, a few times if necessary? Generally, unless you think the something has actually hung, you should click Continue rather than Stop Script if you see that dialog.

The search shouldn't really take that long, but I suppose it's possible if you have a very large number of PDFs and are using the "Attachment Content" search condition. Is this a particularly slow computer?
  • Thanks, Dan, for the great advice. Saved searches do indeed load again after I hit "continue" a couple of times, although it takes quite some time. This could, I guess, be connected to the relative slowness of my competer and to the size of my library.
    Finally, I just wanted to remark with much gratitude how helpful this forum is for us users. It is really great to work with Zotero!
    Cheers:
    Mathias
  • If you find yourself getting that error frequently, one option is to go to about:config in the Firefox address bar, find dom.max_chrome_script_run_time, double-click it, and change the number of seconds to, say, 60 rather than the default 20. (You can also set it to 0, but if a script ever does completely freeze, 0 would result in a full Firefox hang.)
  • Hi,
    Just as a final remark: after upgrading today to v. 2rc4 everything works perfectly fine again. I think you might have fixed a bug in this version that was plaguing my saved searches before!
    Thanks again for the quick support:
    Mathias