Zotero account name with comma

Hi,

a friend of my has created a new Zotero account name containing a comma. There were no problem so far. But neither I can't invite him to my groups because the invitation dialog handles the comma as a special character to seperate between account names nor a rename (or at least a removal) of an account is possible.

What's the best way to handle the problem?
  • Have you tried surrounding your friend's account name with quotes? It's a long shot but it might work.

I know that the dev team at least has the ability to delete accounts (to allow them to get rid of spammers), and Dan or another dev should hopefully be along shortly to sort this out. The fact that commas are allowed in account names at all is a clear bug, if they later interfere with group functionality.

If you need to add your friend to your groups urgently I would suggest that he creates an entirely new account - the old one could then be sorted out later.
  • We tried to enclose the Zotero user name in double quotes, single quotes, ... but it doesn't solved the problem.

Actually we managed to do the invitation using the Zotero user name with keeping the comma inside the name away.

Best way would be to have the possibility to rename the account.
  • This is a shortcoming of the website and I'll look into the best way to handle it without limiting users too much. Currently there are several workarounds though.

You can use any email in the group invitation form. If we recognize it the invitation will show up for the user and they may be emailed depending on their settings. If we don't recognize the email address the invitation will be sent and it can be used with an account they have or a new one they register. You can also use the user's "slug" (the transformed username that shows up in URLs, for example on their profile page) directly in the invitation form. Finally you can also invite members to join your groups from their own profile page.