Adding a view for looking at just your notes made

Um, this isn't a fully-formed idea, but it might start us going somewhere...

Zotero is currently document-centric (there are a bunch of documents with notes attached), but when I'm doing research I'm usually thinking notes-centric (I create a bunch of notes that are sourced from specific documents).

At the moment the notes are hidden in Zotero - you have to drill down one-by-one, remembering which citation each came from to be able to find them, and you can't see them all at once so you can start linking threads together.

Maybe there could be a way to look at all the notes you've made (maybe filtered to those within a collection or tag), and each would have an indication of the document they came from. You can then look at all your notes on a topic in one glance.

Going further, if the notes you make against each document weren't just a single text mini-document, but were more like a set of snippets of information (each paragraph??), maybe each snippet could also have its own tags. Then you could also use Zotero as a way to organise and combine your notes from multiple sources into a coherent whole, ready for analysing and turning into your written report.

Or is there other software that offers this?

I suppose Zotero can already make multiple notes for one document, but it's easier to drag-&-paste or type them in all in one go than having to create a new note for each thought/aspect.

btw, am loving Zotero, have capture heaps of citations and taken notes, just not sure how to take the next step of analysing all those notes when they seem hidden away.
  • I would recommend playing around with a saved search. I keep a saved search called "Notebook" which is simply a search for Item Type is Note. I can then just click the saved search and sort by date added or modified to see my recent activity for note taking.

If you wanted something more sophisticated you could also use a series of tags for different kinds of notes, or notes in different stages of completion, and then incorporate those tags into advanced searches as well.