so many exceptions, is that really not possible with Zotero?


Hello,

My department has provided a citation style from the repository, but they've also distributed an additional hints sheet detailing several exceptions. These exceptions are said to be unmanageable through Zotero and require manual adjustments. I'm not familiar with Zotero, but I was under the impression that it is designed to automate the citation process as much as possible. I'm curious whether these exceptions truly cannot be handled by Zotero.

the style im refering to:
https://www.zotero.org/styles?q=id:duale-hochschule-baden-wurttemberg-department-of-international-business

hint sheet (unfortunately just in german)
https://www.dhbw-stuttgart.de/studierendenportale/bwl-ib/Zitierrichtlinien/Zotero_Hilfetext_BWL-IB.pdf



Thank you for any insights.
  • A fair number of these are just input instructions for unusual item types, which are common simply because users may not know how to best input data.

    I can't tell in all examples what the detailed instructions are, but most of the claims that Zotero can't do something are wrong:
    1. should be possible possible (I don't understand why they enter dissertations as book sections, not Dissertation/thesis)
    2. I'm not sure what col. is about (columns?) but might indeed not be possible.

    3&4. Are definitely possible (text-decoration="underline") (though underlining 2023????)

    7. I take it they want shortened URLs in text, so just forums.zotero.org instead of https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/109146/so-many-exceptions-is-that-really-not-possible-with-zotero ? That's indeed not possible

    8.&9. is hard to tell without more details. It'd likely be possible to handle this with a style and good data entry, but it'd probably be messy, so might make sense they're not doing this.


    Of these, I'd think that only 3&4 and 7 are common in most theses. They should fix 3&4. I'd suspect you can do 7 quickly in an unlinked text using a clever Word wildcard search (or even a custom macro) that abbreviates all URLs as required by the style in one swoop.
Sign In or Register to comment.