Report ID 363601395 - Chrome + Google doc + Zotero + Grammarly

edited November 1, 2023
Hello,
while writing long docs on Google Docs, with Grammarly running, Zotero frequently crashes: it cannot properly add citations (with "JM ALWD" style). In other words, it does not link the citations and even if one refreshes the citation or deletes the error (i.e. deletes the {Updating} signal) and reenters the citation, the Program says "Selected field 5Qupoq not returned from Docs backend" (sometimes the error number varies). The browser is Chrome and all the programs and extentions are updated.

The only way is to close the browser and open it again.

Is there a way to fix it?

I have already sent a feedback to Grammarly.
  • Does it work if you disable the grammarly extension? As far as I am aware it is quite invasive in terms of interacting with many elements of Google Docs editor and is likely breaking the Zotero plugin.
  • It seems to work without Grammarly. However, unfortunately, it is not a useful solution for me to disable it because I need that program to run alongside Zotero. Is there something that you can do to avoid such crashes? I am not an expert, but maybe there are ways to keep the two programs running on different grounds, are there?
  • I am unable to reproduce this issue. What citation style are you using? Can you consistently reproduce this issue in a new document? If so, what are the steps?

Generally, since it is Grammarly breaking Zotero integration, it may be impossible for us to address this, so you should work with their support.
  • I'm using "JM ALWD" citation style. At a certain point, It gets impossible to add citations unless you close the browser and restart it.

These are the usual steps:
    1. find the part of the text where you want to add a citation;
    2. add a footnote (CTTL+ALT+F or directly CTTL+ALT+C)
    3. choose the item you want to cite;
    4. wait for Zotero to load the citation;
    5. Zotero is unable to add it, as long as {Updating} is still there;
    6. if you try to "refresh" the citations or modify the citation at hand, it gives you "Selected field XXXX not returned from Docs backend".

That's it.

Thank you for the attention.
  • edited November 1, 2023
    Kind regards.
  • This is with Juris-m? You'd have to say so from the start, please. Juris-m is a couple of updates behind Zotero, so that may well be the problem.
  • edited November 1, 2023
    I don't know if it is that: the style name is "JM ALWD". I've added the info at the beginning.
    Thank you.
  • I mean -- are you actually using the Zotero software or are you using Juris-m? Talking about the actual application on your computer, not the browser connector (which is identical) That should be easy to tell?
  • I am. I have Zotero open and running as a desktop program while using the G doc extension, on Chrome, to add citations on my files.
  • That citation style would not be valid for use with Zotero. It's designed for Juris-m and I'd expect all sorts of weird things to happen when using it with Zotero, including possible bugs. Not sure if that's the reason here, but we'd definitely want you to try to replicate this with one of the supported styles.
  • Ok, I will.
    In the meantime, do you want me to upload (somehow) the file of the style I'm using? To check if it has something wrong
  • There's nothing wrong with the style, it's just not designed for use with Zotero. the JM at the beginning stands for Juris-m: https://juris-m.github.io/
  • I see... So, as long as I have not found a similar citation style in Zotero, would it be possible to upload (in another discussion) the JM style and ask for a "copy" valid for Zotero?
  • The closes we have is the Bluebook style https://www.zotero.org/styles?q=id:bluebook-law-review you can certainly ask for help translating the ALWD back to plain CSL, but I honestly doubt you'll get any takers. This is, optimistically, 30mins highly qualified labor.
  • Thank you. I'll take a look. In the meantime, I hope someone will try to fix the whole issue.

Kind regards.