Closing tabs

First of all: I think Zotero is fantastic, the import from Safari and Word integration are generally great, and I like the new integrated PDF reader (although turning pages into landscape would be handy) and the annotations, as well as the tabbed interface.

However ... after collecting a number of articles and opening them in the reader tabs, I may want to close them but not the application. Pressing cmd+w on Mac, on the other hand, only closes the open tab and then the program. It would be handier if it would go to the next or previous open reader tab, so you can judge to close or keep it open.

In short: cmd+w should prioritize reader tabs.

(besides this: being able to search in all folders, not just in the opened folder, would also be more intuitive than having to leave a working folder first)
  • edited October 25, 2023
    You're sort of misframing the issue. Cmd-W just closes the current tab, and in Zotero 6, if the library tab is selected, it also closes the window. (It never closes the application. Cmd-Q does that.) What gets selected after a tab is closed is a separate issue.

The problem in Zotero 6 is that 1) the tap-jumpback behavior, which is intended to return to the library tab after opening a PDF from the library tab, is a bit overzealous, returning the selection to the library tab in cases where it shouldn't, and 2) Cmd-W closes the window from the library tab even if there are other tabs. Together, these make it easy to accidentally close the window. We've fixed both of these in the Zotero 7 beta.

But you can see that if you click between a couple tabs to cancel the jumpback behavior, the previous tab will be selected after you close a tab, and you can close all of your tabs with Cmd-W, one by one.