how to install from backup without migration assistant

edited October 25, 2023
I'm on a Macbook Pro M1 with Sonoma and need to wipe my hard drive and reinstall the system, and copy my data over. Because a bug in migration assistant is the major suspect for my current problems (spotlight indexing finishes, then reverts to "unknown indexing status"), I want to do this without migration assistant. I have all files in /Users/homefolder/Zotero, no linked files and no sync. Can I just copy the whole Zotero folder by hand from a Carbon Copy Cloner backup into my new home folder (I'll use the same user and home folder name) before installing Zotero anew from the web? thanks!
  • Can I just copy the whole Zotero folder by hand from a Carbon Copy Cloner backup into my new home folder (I'll use the same user and home folder name) before installing Zotero anew from the web? thanks!
    https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/transferring_a_library

Basically what you're saying, but you want to install Zotero first, then copy in the data folder (and you won't need to worry about usernames at that point). Having the data folder already in place when installing *might* work, but the other way around will definitely work.
  • thank you, will do