Wrong PDF reader tabs restored after relaunching Zotero (Report ID: 333944436)

For the past few weeks, I've been experiencing a new issue with the Zotero 7 beta on macOS. Whenever I quit and reopen Zotero, the same set of PDF reader tabs reopens. During my session I can close those tabs and open new ones as usual. But if I quit and reopen Zotero again, the changes I made during my last session seem like they have been forgotten. Every time I open Zotero, the exact same set of tabs reopens regardless.

Fore example, the PDF for the book "Justice is an Option" always opens when I launch Zotero. If I close that PDF tab and open a different PDF, then quit and relaunch Zotero, the PDF for "Justice is an Option" opens on launch even though I closed it last session.

Report ID: 333944436
  • 1) Are you gracefully quitting Zotero or just killing its process?
    2) Can you reproduce the issue when all plugins are disabled?
  • edited November 18, 2023
    @martynas_b 1) yes I am gracefully quitting Zotero (assuming this means quitting it the normal way all macOS applications are quit - by hitting ⌘Q). 2) yes the issue persists with all plugins disabled. I've submitted new debug log reports with all plugins disabled. During these sessions I would close all open tabs, then quit Zotero, and then the same tabs reopen next session despite the fact that I closed these tabs. And if I open new tabs and then quit, these new tabs are lost when I reopen the application and instead the old tabs from the other session always get reopened on launch.D1584318892; D1328391018

EDIT: aha! I have two versions of zotero installed: I have the latest stable version of Zotero 6 (named "Zotero" in my /Applications folder) and the Z7 beta (named "Zotero 7" in my /Applications folder). I realized that I had to close the tabs in the "Zotero" application for them to be changed in the "Zotero 7" application. Changing the open tabs in the "Zotero 7" application seems to fail to save those changes upon quitting/relaunching "Zotero 7," but changing open tabs in the "Zotero" application DOES successfully save the changes so that when I open "Zotero 7," whatever tabs were last open in "Zotero" will always be reopened whenever "Zotero 7" is relaunched.