Zotero experienced an error updating your document

edited October 19, 2023
The debug ID is: D563232492
Report ID: 1467707478

The office was updated yesterday. Now, the Word version is Microsoft® Word LTSC MSO (16.0.14332.20579) 64 位.

Zotero version is: 7.0.0-beta.46+c27bac2ad (64-bit)

The followings were tried:
Using an empty word document.
Restart Word, Zotero, Windows.
Reinstall Zotero Toolbar in Word
Disable all plugins in Zotero
Run Word and Zotero as Adminstrators
Creat and use a new zotero profile

But all doesn't work.

Thanks.
  • If you save the document with an alphanumeric name like "Doc.docx" does it work?
  • No, it still doesn’t work.
  • It is normal in Win 11, and I installed office 2021 ltsc and zotero 7 in win 10 using hyper-v virtural machine, it prompted me the same error dialog box.
  • And it works if I run my zotero 6 copy and install zotero 6 toolbox in the same machine.
  • Could you produce two Debug IDs, one from Zotero 6 and one from Zotero 7 for an attempt to cite?
  • Zotero 7 Debug ID: D815515302
    Zotero 6 Debug ID: D1196346746
  • Do you have a C: disk and does it work if you save the document there?
  • No,thanks.

Debug ID: D804094421
  • edited October 20, 2023
    Neither docx nor doc word document works

(3)(+0022158): Integration: WinWord-addEditCitation:'C:\Doc1.doc' invoked

(3)(+0000002): Integration: Instantiating @zotero.org/Zotero/integration/application?agent=WinWord;1 for command addEditCitation with doc C:\Doc1.doc

(1)(+0002201): An unhandled exception occured. [getDocument:y:\adomas\zotero\word-for-windows-integration\build\zoterowinwordintegration\document.cpp]

(3)(+0000002): Integration: WinWord-addEditCitation:'C:\Doc1.doc' complete in 2.204s
  • Did citing with Zotero 7 beta work before this Word update? Googling your Word version doesn't turn up anything except for this Zotero thread. Did you get the number correct? Is there another update pending for Word perhaps?
  • It worked before.
    The number is correct. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v75rUCDIWll94sWO14QAWBk8uKtcqjEF/view?usp=share_link

Today my another computer did not work either after a restart of this machine, the word version is the same as that mentioned before.
  • edited October 23, 2023
    Found the reason.

It's nothing related the update of Word.

I installed an application which closed the UAC and obtained other adminstration prevelige (https://drive.google.com/file/d/14MTFaEFIY00X7Fw_7ZMWormBwkXzpV2r/view?usp=share_link), afther I changed UAC the default, it is normal now.

Thanks.

The bat which change the prevelige:

@echo off

::::::::::::::::::::::修改注册表,获取管理员权限::::::::::::::::::
    @echo off
    echo 获取Administrator权限
    cacls.exe "%SystemDrive%\System Volume Information" >nul 2>nul
    if %errorlevel%==0 goto Admin
    if exist "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" del /f /q "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
    echo Set RequestUAC = CreateObject^("Shell.Application"^)>"%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
    echo RequestUAC.ShellExecute "%~s0","","","runas",1 >>"%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
    echo WScript.Quit >>"%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
    "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" /f
    if exist "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" del /f /q "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
    exit
    :Admin
    echo 成功取得Administrator权限

set name=SikegRunSrv.exe
    set sname=SikegRunSrv

set curExe0=%~dp0KegServer.exe
    set curExe=%~dp0%name%

set regpath=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\%sname%\Parameters\
    set sourcePath=%~dp0srvany.exe
    cd /d "%~dp0"
    instsrv %sname% "%sourcePath%"
    reg add %regpath% /v AppDirectory /t REG_SZ /d "%~dp0\" /f
    reg add %regpath% /v Application /t REG_SZ /d "%curExe%" /f
    reg add %regpath% /v AppParameters /t REG_SZ /f
    rem sc config %sname% start=delayed-auto

reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run /v Keg /t REG_SZ /d "\"%curExe0%\"" /f

echo 关掉UAC
    ::::::::::::::::::::::修改注册表,关闭UAC::::::::::::::::::
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /v "ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin" /t reg_dword /d 0 /F
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /v "EnableLUA" /t reg_dword /d 0 /F
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /v "PromptOnSecureDesktop" /t reg_dword /d 0 /F

start "" "%~dp0KegServer.exe"

pause

• edited February 2, 2024
    I have the same problem when citing documents in word: Zotero experienced an error updating your document
    M
    y version of zotero is 7.0.0-beta.56+9edfcba9a on windows 11, word 365 (same in WPS).

The followings were tried:
    Using an empty word document.
    Restart Word, Zotero, Windows.
    Reinstall Zotero Toolbar in Word
    Disable all plugins in Zotero
    Run Word and Zotero as non-Adminstrators
    Creat and use a new zotero profile

I have UAC turned off. But I am unable to run the script mentioned by johnmy.

But all doesn't work. But it works for Google doc. And it works for Zotero 6.

Debug ID D1905238043

Thanks.
    @adomasven
  • Did you install some applications or change the windows settings before it did not work
  • It should have worked before I upgraded, not after. Also, I'm not sure what setting is causing the problem.

But it works for Google doc. And it works for Zotero 6 in same computer.
  • Did you try to turn on the UAC, or set the UAC to other level.
  • edited February 3, 2024
    @johnmy you are right. After change the setting and reboot my PC, word can access to zotero 7.

You are my God, Thanks.

Other than that, I think the developers should update the plugin to fix this compatibility issue!
  • Recently,I installed this application, it also changed the UAC, https://github.com/ionuttbara/windows-defender-remover, I got the same error.
  • Thanks! finally find the solution to make Zotero work again. I found this problem after updating Zotero to version 7. I decide to not use Zotero Word plugin for now. hope this problem can be fixed.
  • I turned off UAC again and try to use the plugin, it still works! Maybe it's been fixed already.
  • edited March 10, 2024
    I found zotero work without turning on UAC when set "EnableLUA" to 1rather than 0 in \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
  • Same issue, can confirm changing UAC works. Hope this got fixed soon.