Add OpenURL resolvers for Ohio University

• Thanks -- I've added the first one. The system isn't really set up for multiple resolvers for a single institution
  • Thanks, the first is the best anyway. I see there is a pending issue for handling multiple - https://github.com/zotero/zotero/issues/2982

I was going to try and locate in the source code where the resolver handling occurs to look into their implementation. A link to the file would be a great starting point.
  • edited October 13, 2023
    That's for handling multiple institutions, not multiple resolvers for the same institution. We've never had a request for multiple resolvers for the same institution and wouldn't support that via the directory (though you could obviously enter one manually if Zotero let you set up multiple).
  • @dstillman - I'll take your word for that since you created that issue, but given that issue doesn't spell any of that out given its only a title without any further context. It was not clear that was the intended interpretation based on the issue as written. "Support multiple OpenURL resolvers for Library Lookup" Handling multiple institutions should rely on the same technical implementation that would support multiple resolves for a single institution as it basically is handling queries across multiple entries in the list if I understand what you're saying. ie query Ohio University, OhioLink, and Ohio Stat University... this then should similarly handle Ohio University and Ohio University 2 in the same way.

The directory could handle multiple resolvers for an institution with two entries for the institution and leveraging standardized naming convention to indicate preference or order.

It would be helpful to spell out the limits of practice on the wiki and the rational of why - https://www.zotero.org/support/locate/openurl_resolvers Nothing right now says that multiple resolves cannot or should not be listed.

It doesn't make sense to limit selection options from the directory if a University provides multiple options. I'm not seeing the harm in that.
  • It might help if you explain why your institution has multiple resolvers, why people would choose to use one over the other, and what the entries would be called. Obviously we could create an additional entry with a different name, but you can see yourself that every other institution on the list has a single resolver, so you'd have to justify why your institution needs more than one entry, which is likely to just cause confusion for users. We're not going to create entries called "Ohio University" and "Ohio University 2" and expect users to know what to do with that.