Importing Web of Science Marked Lists

Does anyone know if Zotero can import references from a 'marked list' format of search results off of Web of Science (ie ISI Web of Knowledge) databases?
  • When you create a marked list in WoS, Zotero does not currently translate the webpage. Nor can you import an ISI-tag-formatted file using gear icon->import... You can export a marked list to BibTeX for Zotero to import and there are other programs that can import ISI-tag-formatted files & export to formats that Zotero can read. There has also been some discussion about allowing the import of isi-tag-formatted files, as this is what the site translator uses anyway.
  • On linux you can use a very nice little program called bibutils, which converts to and from several different ref formats, including ISI. Don't know if it is available for Windows.
  • It works on windows. You can find the binaries on the bibutils website.

Just "Save to file" you marked list from ISI WoK...
    Then open up a comand line. You can do in 2 steps:
    isi2xml.exe file.txt > file.xml
    xml2bib.exe file.xml > file.bib

Or in one step
    isi2xml.exe file.txt > xml2bib.exe > file.bib

Now you are able to impot the BibTex file into Zotero.
  • I was able to import citations into Zotero from Web of Knowledge using the Save to Bibtex option within WoK. From a marked list in WoK, I selected "Save to BibTeX", then then saved the resulting .bib file to my computer and imported the citations using the gear icon > Import.... option in Zotero.
  • Hi adamzeil,
    I´m trying to import citations into Zotero from Web of Knowledge but I´m blind! because I don´t see option "save to BibTex" that you have mentioned. Could you say to me where are it?
  • Alegnacarmago, if you have a Marked List of citations in Web of Science, click to view your Marked List. On that page, look for a drop down menu within Step 3 that says "Save to Other Reference Software." Click on that drop down menu and you'll see the option "Save to Bibtex." Select that option and follow the rest of the instructions in my previous post. Hope that helps!
  • Thanks Adamzeil. I tried the instruction that you had but I don´t see the option "Save to Bibtex". However, I had good results with other options. I saved marked list as "firefox document". After, I opened it in Mozilla Browser and I save it sucessfully.
  • Hello! Does anyone know if saving the marked list to BibTex also saves the full text PDF's or does it simply save the citations?
  • only the citation information.
  • ok. thanks!
  • Hum this is quite an old discussion, but since I couldn't find any idea that worked for me, I figured that I was probably not the only one. I thought I might share it with you or anyone who would have the same problem. (By the way, this really is my first post so forgive me if you feel that I don't belong, I just figured I could help :)

So, I went on the WoK and marked a few articles. I then exported the list as plain text. I opened the text file and copied everything. Then went on this website http://www.lagom.nl/latex/i2b/online.cgi#results and pasted it in the "Paste isi output here (see hints below)" box. Clicked send and copied the Bibtex output. Then I opened zotero and clicked "import from clipboard" and voilà!

Hopes this helps someone :)
  • Thanks for the useful tip, Yolanda. It works like a charm except that it doesn't pick up the abstract. Is there an easy way to do that?
  • edited September 20, 2012
    you should be able to to this without the detour - Zotero can now import ISI files.

Follow Yolanda's instructions up to here:

So, I went on the WoK and marked a few articles. I then exported the list as plain text. I opened the text file and copied everything.
    but then, after selecting and copying (i.e. ctrl/cmd+c) the whole text, go to Zotero and use "import from Clipboard" - that should work and should also import the abstract.
  • Due to a fix by Aurimas, marked lists should now import directly into Zotero from WoS using the URL bar icon.
  • Sorry i know the list is a bit old, but i had the same problem as mtai33. I cannot export abstracts from web of knowledge to Zotero standalone and also an error message shows up when i try to export a lot of references at the same time (~50). Any help would be very appreciated!
    Thanks
  • select page -- save to other file formats -- full record -- Bibtex -- save
    open zotero -- import --
    thank you very much for sharing.