Firefox 3.6 is reportedly out, do I update?

Has anyone had any trouble when updating Firefox to 3.6? Has anyone tried it yet?
  • There are a bunch of threads out there - since you're on Ubuntu (you are, right?) and people have been struggling with with Java in that, I wouldn't upgrade (I certainly haven't) - but if you do, read the respective threads here in the forum (both Jon Rubin and fbennett have written about solutions).
    Note that 1.0.10 isn't compatible with FF 3.6
  • I'm using 2 rc, thanks for the warning. Adamsmith is a great name, pseudonym? Do you have an econ group? Is it impolitic to talk about forming groups for sharing citations?
  • edited January 28, 2010
    aaron - yes, of course it's a pseudonym - I'm not an economist, though. It's certainly not impolite to ask, but the best way to look for interesting groups is probably to search public groups.
  • I have updated to Firefox 3.6, and Zotero 1.0.10 is definitely NOT COMPATIBLE. It has disappeared from the bottom bar, and when I try to update it there is an error report. I am not able to use it anymore. I do not know what happens when you update to Firefox 3.6 using Zotero 2 though.
  • MHaller - that fact is mentioned all over the place - including in my post three above yours.
    You can update by installing 2.0, which works on FF 3.6 and will update your 1.0 database.
  • Questions ...

Zotero Home offers the 2.0rc5 version. How stable is it?

Documentation suggests that the SYNC function with a zotero.org server is available, but not required. Is my reading correct?

Other pages indicate that the Zotero SQLite data base WITH Storage may be kept on a (local) Network Attached Server. Do I read this right?
  • Please open new threads for new questions.

2.0 is very stable - but there is a reason it's a release candidate and not a final release yet.
    You don't need to sync ever - if you want to sync your data, there is no alternative to zotero.org. For syncing your files you can also use a WebDAV

I'm not sure I understand that last question - keeping the database on a network server is possible but should be handled with extreme caution, as simultaneous access can easily corrupt the database. If you need more precise answers, please specify the passages in the documentation you're referring to.
  • Will there be an update for Zotero 1.0.10 that will be compatible with Firefox 3.6? I have two weeks left for finishing my PhD. I have more than 100 citations in my word-file that are linked with my zotero 1 literature-collection. Is it wise to update to zotero 2 at this moment? Will the literature references in my word file be connected correctly to the updated version of the zotero database?
  • Will there be an update for Zotero 1.0.10 that will be compatible with Firefox 3.6?
    No. But if you roll back to Firefox 3.5, Zotero 1.0.10 will continue to work.
    Is it wise to update to zotero 2 at this moment?
    Probably not. You're unlikely to have issues with the Zotero extension itself, but some people have had to do some troubleshooting to get the new word processor plugins working.

To quote the upgrade instructions, "Pick the right time to upgrade. You may run into unforeseen issues after upgrading. Consider delaying your upgrade if you have an important deadline coming up soon and you don't have time for troubleshooting."

(This applies to any important software. Upgrading to a major new version of MS Office right before a big deadline probably wouldn't make much sense either.)
    Will the literature references in my word file be connected correctly to the updated version of the zotero database?
    They certainly should, but you might as well wait two weeks to find out for sure.
  • AdamSmith (great handle!) wrote:
    "I'm not sure I understand that last question - keeping the database on a network server is possible but should be handled with extreme caution, as simultaneous access can easily corrupt the database." in response to "Other pages indicate that the Zotero SQLite data base WITH Storage may be kept on a (local) Network Attached Server. Do I read this right? "
    I think you answered my question despite its fuzziness. Thank you! I am not familiar with SQLite, but I infer that it does not support record locking or rollback.
  • Good news, FYI:
    Zotero 1.0.10 appears to work with Firefox 3.5.8. Firefox automatic disabling of Zotero had been removed, and Firefox updated automatically.

Cheers.
  • edited February 24, 2010
    Hello, everyone! I have just switched to a new computer and newly installing software on it-- I'm currently working with Firefox 3.6. when I try to install Zotero 2.0, I get a 207 error message from Firefox: "Not a valid install package." Does anyone have any idea about how to fix this?
  • Thanks a million, Dan!