Run-time error: '5' in Word for Mac

This discussion was created from comments split from: Urgent: Word Crashing Post-Zotero Word Plugin Update.
  • edited September 27, 2023
    The solution posted by @dstillman worked for me!

"If you reinstall Zotero 6.0.26 over your current version, close Word, and reinstall the plugin from the Cite → Word Processors pane of the Zotero settings..."

Happy days!!!
  • edited October 6, 2023
    @SteveHaines: Reverting is not a fix — you can't stay on 6.0.26. You'll need to speak to your IT department to ask them to update CrowdStrike to allow this. [Edit: Report is for a different issue unrelated to CrowdStrike.]
  • edited September 27, 2023
    @dstillman My university IT dept does not support Zotero. They will tell me to revert to EndNote...
    But I will tell them they need to update CrowdStrike.
  • It's not about supporting Zotero. As noted in the linked thread, CrowdStrike fixed this false positive. Your IT department just needs to update to current definitions.

You can't stay on an old version of Zotero. Word integration won't work with macOS Sonoma, other things will stop working eventually, and we won't provide any support for old versions.
  • Hi @dstillman My university advises that it doesn't use CrowdStrike (and reminded me they do not support Zotero).
    Zotero auto-updated to 6.0.27 and Run-time 5 error has returned. Do you have any other suggestions on how I might resolve this problem?

MacBook Pro 2.3 Quad core i5 16gb 2133 LPDDR3
    Ventura 13.5.2
    Word 16.77.1

• OK, you hadn't actually said what the problem was that you were experiencing. The thread you posted to was about Word crashing. Run-time error 5 is a different problem, and it doesn't have anything to do with CrowdStrike. I've moved this to a new thread.

We're debugging the run-time error 5 problem in another thread. You can follow that one for updates. We should have a fix soon.