Web translator for ZOBODAT

edited October 4, 2023
ZOBODAT (https://www.zobodat.at/index.php) is a great resource for (among other things) zoological and botanical literature, mainly in German-language journals. Unfortunately, it does not embed machine-readable metadata, as far as I can tell. I would like to create a Web Translator for the site. Do I need to discuss that beforehand, or can I just start on a pull request?
  • You're just going to parse the citations as regex? No need to discuss previously, you can just start with the PR. Make sure you look at recent translators and use Scaffold/Translator Editor to add standard code blocks and tests.
  • edited October 4, 2023
    > You're just going to parse the citations as regex?

Good point... I had assumed there were probably HTML spans but of course that is not the case. Well, in many cases (where author info etc. is linked) it will be easier. Also, the PDF URL is relatively easy to identify which already helps a lot, I think.

If that doesn't work out I'll try to send them an email to suggest exposing schema.org/HighWire meta tags/something else.
  • The citation format does seem quite consistent, so you probably can parse this reasonably reliably, I was just curious if you had found anything else.
  • The search does support CSV output but does not take identifiers as input (at least, that is not documented and my reverse-engineering attempts have failed so far).