Automatically adding ris files to zotero (in PRIMO)

edited September 29, 2023
Hello,

I'm facing an issue with Primo. When I click on "Download RIS," it simply downloads the file (no surprises there). However, I would like Zotero to recognize that I'm downloading an RIS file and add it to my library automatically, as it does with many other databases, such as various EBSCO ones.

Do you have any solutions for this issue? I noticed an option in the Zotero Chrome Extension for "Automatic File Importing," and I've tried adding our PRIMO hostname, but it didn't seem to work.

I'm aware of the "right-click -> save to Zotero" option (PRIMO 2018), but I would greatly appreciate it if RIS files could be imported into Zotero automatically without any additional steps.

This issue appears to be present in every Primo database I've tried, which makes me concerned that there may be no solution.

UPDATE:
Regarding "right-click -> save to Zotero" option (PRIMO 2018) it seems to save my preference so whenever i visit a primo site, which is great!

But is there anyway for that to be the case for our students, without them manually right-clicking and choosing save to Zotero" option (PRIMO 2018) the first time?

Sincerely
Skjolde
  • If you have checked all useful boxes in Zotero, the issue might be on the server side and perhaps there isn't much you can do except ask the administrators to fix their configuration. This very old thread still looks relevant to me: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/9801/how-can-i-set-it-to-automatically-import-ris-instead-of-saving-file-and-importing-later

However, the best practice is probably to enter references using the browser connector, not a RIS (or other format) export: https://www.zotero.org/support/adding_items_to_zotero
  • You're aware that the recommended way to import is to just use the Save to Zotero icon in your browser? There's no need to access that via right-click (though you can, obviously), that's how Zotero works in pretty much all databases (and many non-database sites) and how it should be taught to students.

For your question, the way Primo generates the RIS file for download, I'm skeptical it's going to be possible to automatically catch that with Zotero. I'm surprised (and can't replicate) that that ever works for you?
  • Zotero only offers to import RIS and BibTeX files when sites serve it in with the appropriate identifying information (a Content-Type header saying that it's RIS or BibTeX). If a site doesn't do that, the Zotero Connector doesn't know that it's a metadata file and won't offer to import it.

We could consider hard-coding support for certain URL patterns — e.g., /exportris in this case — but it's really up to sites to properly identify the content they're serving.