Advanced Search Mode hangs indefinitely

I upgraded today from 2.0b7.6 to 2.0rc1. After the upgrade, I find that I can no longer successfully run "advanced search mode" searches from the quicksearch bar; the middle library pane just displays "search in progress - please wait" and remains that way indefinitely. I've never had a problem searching in Advanced Search Mode prior to this latest upgrade.

Here's what seems to reproduce it for me:

1. Open Firefox (version 3.5.7)

2. Click the "zotero" logo in the lower right to open zotero

3. Click in the quicksearch bar to bring the cursor there

4. Type a quotation mark in the quicksearch bar (at this point, the main library pane changes from a display of my zotero items to the message "Advanced search mode - press Enter to search.) So far, so good. That behavior is exactly what used to happen for me in 2.0b7.6. But then...

5. Enter a string I KNOW appears in my library, such as an author's name ("Abedi"--see screenshots below)

6. Close out the string with another quotation mark, and press enter. The main display pane in my library changes to "Search in progress - please wait" and stays like that. I've let it run as long as 60 seconds, but the message remains and no search results are returned.

7. If I press the "x" button within the quicksearch field--to clear out my exact quoted string--the "search in progress" message remains in my quickpane box.
Here's what it looks like
before running an advanced search,
during the search,
and after clearing the quicksearch box.

What I've tried doing

I uninstalled Zotero 2.0rc1, restarted Firefox, installed Zotero 2.0rc2 (it had just become available), and repeated steps 1 through 7. The results are exactly the same.

My configuration
I'm currently running Zotero 2.0rc2 on Firefox 3.5.7 in Mac OS X 10.6.2
  • Report confirmed with the same version numbers, all around.

"term" fails
    "term succeeds <--- temporary workaround.
  • Fixed in the latest dev build. Thanks very much for the detailed bug reports.

(It's not hanging, technically—it's generating an error, which you can view in Report Errors.)