Long Footnotes "Buried" in OpenOffice Writer Plugin Note Editor

When I have a long footnote, the text ends up buried so that I cannot scroll down to view/proof/edit the content. I have attempted to create a pic to show what I mean: http://mbruffey.home.comcast.net/~mbruffey//pics/editor_crop.pdf . Thx, Mark
  • Still trying to figure this out. Is it possible that my problem is a screen resolution problem, as it does not appear many, if any, have the problem I have noted? Perhaps it is simply that few disciplines require documents with lengthy footnotes? In this case, it is simply that nobody else has bumped up against it yet. I would think history (George Mason???????), if any of the disciplines, would have long footnotes (read any article in the journals for Church History for example).
  • edited June 15, 2010
    Workaround. BTW, the problem exists in Openoffice under Linux as well as under M$.

Clearly, the footnote view/editor is crippled. If you have a lengthy note, customary in some disciplines, a good portion of it can become buried in the edit/view window. Even if you do not need to edit the note in the window, you may want to proof what you have added via the prefix/suffix fields (to avoid, for instance, a double-period).

Here is the workaround--very simple and discovered already by others no doubt. Simply goto the suffix field for the last source you are citing and type or paste into it a bunch of garbage. This will cause the software to recalc the window/scrollbar positions with the result that you can actually see your entire note and some of the garbage while the rest of the garbage is buried in crippled-zotero-plugin-never-never-land. When satisfied with the note, delete the garbage from the suffix field. Tada!

LMB
  • thanks for posting this - for what its worth I do think it'd be nice if this would work without a workaround.
  • Just checking. I can't see that any progress has been made on this particular issue, at least under Linux, in the past two years. Anything pending? Thx, LMB
  • You can edit Zotero references directly in the word processor now, so the limitations of the edit/preview window are less of an issue.
  • but it's still an issue as a preview for using prefix/suffix (which is, after all, what we recommend people do).