OneDrive download won't recognize Zotero formatting

I typically work in OneDrive, and I opt to "open in app" to edit zotero citations in a given word doc. I have one particular document where, when I open or download the file, I get an error from Word saying that it doesn't recognize the properties. When I say that I want to open the file anyway, it shows all of my in-text citations as very long scripts.

For example, where the text should say, "Thompson & Winsler (2018)", it says ADDIN ZOTERO_ITEM CSL_CITATION {"citationID":"r9YOy8yO","properties":{"formattedCitation":"(Thompson & Winsler, 2018)","plainCitation":"(Thompson & Winsler, 2018)","dontUpdate":true,"noteIndex":0},"citationItems":[{"id":10654,"uris":["http://zotero.org/users/7991841/items/EYTX8FLQ"],"itemData":{"id":10654,"type":"article-journal","abstract":"

Further, when I click on the Zotero extension in Word, it doesn't recognize pre-existing citations.

It doesn't seem like there's any way to recover these citations, since I can't unlink citations from OneDrive and since I can't recover the messed up citations from the downloaded word doc.

Has anyone run into this error? Any suggestions for how to recover this document?