Zotero won't change style

Hi,
I am hoping that someone can help. I am editing a book manuscript (due Friday!!) and need to change the citation style. I have combined all of the chapters into a single document and tried to change the style which did not work. I then tried to change the style on just one of the chapters and that didn't work either. I created a new document to test and was able to change styles without incident. In my documents, the references are all in gray in text and in the bibliography, so I know they are linked. I am using the most updated version of Zotero.

Here is the process I used:
Click on document preferences, select the style I want.
It opens the Zotero library and then does nothing (I tried leaving it for about 10 mins, but nothing had changed when I came back).

Click on document preferences, select the style I want. Hit refresh.
It opens the Zotero library and then does nothing.

Word is up to date as well and I am using it on a Mac.
Mac OS Monterey 12.6.1
Word 16.77
Zotero 6.0.26

Any suggestions you have would be very much appreciated!

Thank you,
Liz
  • Click on document preferences, select the style I want.
    It opens the Zotero library and then does nothing (I tried leaving it for about 10 mins, but nothing had changed when I came back).

Click on document preferences, select the style I want. Hit refresh.
    It opens the Zotero library and then does nothing.
    I'm not sure what you're describing here — these things don't seem to follow one another. Can you provide a numbered list of the exact Steps to Reproduce. Don't skip a single thing you're doing on screen (e.g., selecting a style doesn't close the dialog, so you either left something out or you didn't close the dialog).

We'd also want to see a Debug ID for what you're doing.
  • Sure. Here are the exact steps.

In Word:
    1. Click Zotero tab
    2. Select "document preferences"
    3. Select the style I want
    4. Click "ok"
    [Zotero closes the dialog box after I click "ok" and then opens my library]
    5. If I leave it alone from there, it does nothing.

Alternative approach I have taken:
    In Word:
    1. Click Zotero tab
    4. Click "ok"
    [Zotero closes the dialog box after I click "ok" and then opens my library]
    5. Click "refresh" in the Zotero tab in Word
    [The citations do not refresh]

In the test document I created that had only 4 references, here is what happened:
    In Word:
    1. Click Zotero tab
    4. Click "ok"
    [The citations update]

What are your thoughts?
  • And the Debug ID?

What do you mean by "opens my library"? It's bringing the main Zotero window to the front? That's not really relevant, but are you saying that the citations in the document aren't updating?

It's quite possible it's just still processing — the Word for Mac plugin is rather slow, so in a large document it could easily take an hour or more.
  • Yes. It brings the main Zotero window to the front and then the citations don't update. I will give it more time and see if that helps. It would be nice if Zotero had a progress bar or something to show that it is processing.
  • I am having the same problem here. Was this ever resolved for you?
  • Same problem. Tried to change styles using all approaches outline by lizchiarello and still the citation styles will not update.
  • @frannysullivan, @alyedree: Please start a new thread and explain the exact problem you're experiencing, in your own words. We can't debug different people's word processor issues in the same thread — they're almost always specific to a given document or system.