Functional Ecology - in text citation

Hey guys,

I've noticed some of my in-text citations are adding the initial for an author's name before the last name and some are not? This pertains to citations using the Functional Ecology citation format. For both examples below see the Watson citations (different authors). I'd like to get zotero not to have J. D. before Watson in the first example, and similarly not have H. before Watson in the second example.

For example:
(Ohki et al., 2001; Olovnikov, 1971; J. D. Watson, 1972; Zane et al., 2021)

or

(Angelier et al., 2013b; Salmón et al., 2016; H. Watson et al., 2015; Young et al., 2013)
  • The initials to disambiguate first authors with the same last name are a feature of APA style, which Functional Ecology follows. If you're sure you don't want it, you'd want to remove disambiguate-add-givennames="true" from the flight, but again, for APA (and I believe the journal) you shouldn't)
  • Hi Adam, I just wanted to say thank you for all of your feedback re: troubleshooting zotero citations.

I did find on Functional Ecology's page these guidelines for citations which are more detailed: https://besjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/hub/journal/13652435/author-guidelines-revisions

It does look as if they want initials for the first and middle name when applicable. Then my next question is - given that they provide this example on their page:

Ramus, F., Rosen, S., Dakin, S. C., Day, B. L., Castellote, J. M., White, S., & Frith, U. (2003). Theories of developmental dyslexia: Insights from a multiple case study of dyslexic adults. Brain, 126(4), 841–865. https://doi.org/10.1093/brain/awg076

If you now glance at my examples from above for both Watson citations:

(Ohki et al., 2001; Olovnikov, 1971; J. D. Watson, 1972; Zane et al., 2021)
    or
    (Angelier et al., 2013b; Salmón et al., 2016; H. Watson et al., 2015; Young et al., 2013)

In the Functional Ecology example author initials for first and middle name come after the surname, whereas my zotoro citation put both Watson initials for first and middle name before the surname. Do you know how to alter that? Thanks again for all of your help!
  • edited August 31, 2023
    You're mixing the presentation in the bibliography with a disambiguation feature for in-text citations.

(adamsmith, I think the journal adds last names to disambiguate, e.g. "(Bayliss, Papeş, et al., 2022; Bayliss, Mueller, et al., 2022), so we might need to make an independent style here. example paper. Let me know what you think.)
  • I see what you're referring to. So then my question goes back to how do I remove the author initials for first and or middle name for the in-text citations?
  • @damnation: no the journal does both, as APA requires. @cjmill04 I provide instructions above, but again, what you are seeing is very likely what the journal wants
  • Okay, yeah if it's just to distinguish between the two different Watson authors I can explain that to my adviser and hope they'll be satisfied with that.

Thank you to both of you!