RTF Scan - Corrupt Output

Hello,

I've been trying to use the RTF scan and it runs as normal, but I get a corrupt file error when opening the output file in word (opens in wordpad, but formatting is all messed up). This happened for APA, AMA, and other output styles. There is no strange formatting (at least visibly) in the file, but there are graphs and equations.

If I copy/paste (without formatting) the contents of original RTF file into a new file and then run RTF scan on that document, I can open the resulting output, but the font is changed (to something word doesn't recognize) and non-numeric non-alphabetic characters (like apostrophe) don't display correctly. Thus, I'm assuming there must be some hidden formatting in my original file that is screwing things up. Any thoughts?

Are there certain formats (like equations or charts) that can't be in the rtf file you scan? I couldn't identify anything in particular that was causing error and compatibility checker in word said there were no problems saving file as RTF.

Also, when scanning the plain text file, why does it change font to something unrecognized by system? This happened in multiple output styles.

Thanks!