LibreOffice plugin installation issue - unexpected error while searching for Java

I'm having difficulty installing the Zotero LibreOffice plugin on a Debian-based Linux distro. I've successfully installed the plugin many times before, so I'm not sure why it's not working now.

Prior to installing Zotero, I installed the default-jre Java package, as well as all associated dependencies. I then installed Zotero via the tarball. When that didn't work, I uninstalled Zotero and then re-installed it via the DEB package.

In both instances, I got the error message:

(com.sun.star.uno.RuntimeException) {{Message = "[JavaVirtualMachine]: An unexpected error occurred while searching for a Java, 11, at ./stoc/source/javavm/javavm.cxx634", Context = (com.sun.star.uno.Xinterface)@0}}

Should I have installed a different Java package?
  • Update, while reading other posts in the Forum, I noticed that it's the latest JDK that's required, not the JRE. So I installed the default-jdk Java package as well. But I'm still getting the same error message.
  • See https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#installation_error

Make sure you have a JRE selected in LibreOffice and try installing the plugin manually.
  • You are right... I do not have a JRE selected in LibreOffice, even though I have Java installed at this location: /usr/lib/jvm/java-17-openjdk-amd64

But when I go to LibreOffice tools > options > LibreOffice > Advanced and attempt to select a JRE, every file in that directory is greyed out. What is the exact name of the file that should be selected?
  • Quoting the linked page:
    Ensure that “Use a Java runtime environment” is checked
    Is it the case?
  • Yes, it's checked, but nothing is selected below
  • You have to select a folder where your JVM is installed, so it would exactly be

/usr/lib/jvm/java-17-openjdk-amd64

You just need to click OK in the dialog. If you've installed a distro-packaged version of LibreOffice it might help to install it from official debs. If it doesn't work you'll likely get better support from LibreOffice support channels.
  • When I go to the LibreOffice advanced options screen and click Add, I am not able to specify a directory and click OK.

When I specify Class Path, I am able to specify a directory and click OK, but the LibreOffice advanced option screen still shows that I don't have a JRE.

• I am downloading the official DEB now...
  • Installing the official DEB worked! Thanks for your help.