Setting up field for foreign cases

Hello,

I'm reaching out because I'm currently working on positioning information within the appropriate fields to achieve the desired string citation, but I've encountered a stumbling block.

The item type is a "Case," and the desired output in Bluebook format is as follows: "S.T.S., Feb. 5, 1993 (R.J., No. 876, p. 1135) (Spain)."

To achieve this output, it appears that the information needs to be entered as follows:

Reporter Vol: Feb. 5, 1993
Reporter: (R.J., No. 876, p. 1135)
Pages: (Spain)

However, my current result is: "S.T.S., Feb. 5, 1993 (R.J., No. 876, p. 1135)." I attempted to move the "(Spain)" information into the reporter field at the end of the existing entry like this: (R.J., No. 876, p. 1135) (Spain). Despite this adjustment, the reference to "(Spain)" is still omitted from the string.

Could you kindly provide some guidance on how to achieve the desired outcome, if possible?

Thank you.
  • Where is the entry template from? I'd just add (Spain) to the reporter (not any wronger than having it in Pages ;)
  • I am currently working with cases from various jurisdictions, and I've noticed that the year, case numbers, and other details are positioned differently in each jurisdiction. To address this, I created a dummy case item and assigned "A," "B," "C," and "D" to the available fields from Court to First Page. I then ran it through the ODF scan to determine the order in which they appear in the citation string. I've been adjusting them accordingly based on the specific jurisdiction.

I've been using the same test document generated by the ODF scan to check the output: document_name (citations).odt, so I click on replace existing over and over as I test. In the past, whenever I got an usual output, I would delete the test document and rescan, which have taken care of the issue and showed me the expected output. I tried that this time and I got the same result you mentioned.

Another issue that has emerged is that as I process the cases using the same format I mentioned, I realized that the cases result in identical names in the library:

S.T.S. ...
    S.T.S. ...
    S.T.S. ...

I thought that maybe the right approach would be to arrange the info adding the date to the case name and redistributing the rest:

Case Name: S.T.S., Feb. 5, 1993
    Reporter Vol: (R.J., No. 876, p. 1135)
    Reporter: (Spain)

This way, the case names could be differentiated within the same court. However, a new problem has arisen. After running the scan, the output string appears as follows:
    "S.T.S., Feb. 5, 1993, (R.J., No. 876, p. 1135) (Spain)."

The problem is with the comma right after the year "1993" in the case name. Is there a way to adjust the positioning of the information to prevent this comma from appearing in the output string? or an alternative suggestion to make this work?

Thank you!