Linking Zotero to OneDrive

Hey.
I have tried linking Zotero to a newly created folder at OneDrive by using ZotFile. Through ZotFile preference, I changed "Location of Files" to my new OneDrive folder.
In "Zotero Preferences" >> "Advance" >> "Files and Folders" changed the "Base location" to my One Drive Folder.
Then if I select the file in Zotero library and hit "Manage Attachments">> " Rename and move". Then, nothing happens... The destination OneDrive folder remains empty.

What might be wrong?

Thank you.
  • Which versions of Zotero and Zotfile are you using ?

In Zotfile preferences, is there a green tick next to the location you set for Custom Location (ie the OneDrive folder) ?

If I recall correctly, some people do use a OneDrive folder as their Zotfile Custom Location. But OneDrive is associated with some *other* odd issues with Zotero, so you should rule out that possibility. So I would first try setting the Custom Location to a folder that is not in OneDrive, then repeat the test - select a PDF and then right click Manage Attachments\Rename and Move.

By the way, you only need to set a Linked Attachment Base Directory (in Zotero preferences) if you plan to put your linked files at different locations on different computers. Also, the LABD setting only affects where Zotero *looks* for linked files - it has no effect on where linked files are *stored*. That is, it has no effect on whether Zotfile moves files or not, or where it puts them.

Without a LABD set, Zotero looks for your linked file at the explicit absolute path where it was stored. If you later want to set up Zotero on another computer, Zotero will find that linked PDF if it is at the same exact path.

But if linked files will be at different base paths on the two computers (eg D: on one PC and E: on another), you can add a LABD setting on both computers, and Zotero will then be able to find all your linked files (including those which were stored before you set up the LABD).

So one would usually get Zotfile working on a single computer first, before deciding on whether you need to set a LABD for Zotero use on other computers.
  • Hey tim820,

The version of Zotero I am using is. 6.0.26. and ZotFile 5.1.2.

Yes, there is a green tick in front of the custom location @ OneDrive.

I tried linking Zotero library to the folder on my Desktop and still no result.

The main reason to use Linked Attachment Base Directory is that we use Zotero on multiple machines and want to have the PDFs accessible for all users. I am able to export the library to have all available PDFs on my PC. However, it does not happen automatically once I am adding a new source to the library.

Olga
  • That's exactly what Zotero native sync is for though. It's not free, but it's (IMO) not expensive, and it's the most hassle-free and reliable way to do what you want. Only one user in the group needs to have a paid subscription.
  • emilianoeheyns
    It is quite expensive for labs. At the same time, just few people in our lab are using Zotero for referencing. Others, just review PDFs. Therefore, we cannot justify storage expansion.
  • I don't know your budget so it could well be prohibitively expensive for your situation, but just to put some numbers to it: for labs or any other kind of organization, a single US$120/year subscription would cover an unlimited number of people using Zotero for referencing/reviewing PDFs. You can even have an unlimited number of groups, with varying membership access for each group, on that single US$120/year subscription.
  • edited August 17, 2023
    I know about the lab/institutional pricing, which comes with some administrative tools that do offer a lot of value, but it is not the case that because you are a lab that you would be required to use the lab option. You can just use a personal unlimited option.

That said, whenever a lab option fits your budget, that would go towards supporting the development and operational work that Zotero does, so I would encourage organisations that can afford it to do so.
  • edited August 17, 2023
    That is an option that is available, but it is (to my knowledge) not a required option. I could take the lab option if that suited me, and (as far as I know) you are allowed to take a "personal" subscription. The downside is that the one account who does the purchase will have to do all group administration etc. That comes with hassle-free document sharing, web interface, etc.