Error "Zotero experienced an error updating your document."

Hello,

I am suddenly unable to insert citations/footnotes in my Word documents and am getting the message "Zotero experienced an error updating your document" whenever I try. I am using Word 2007 running on Windows Vista, with Zotero 2.0b7.6. I checked and made sure I have all the latest Zotero and plug-in updates. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

The Report ID is: Report ID: 769818584

The error log said the following over and over:
[JavaScript Error: "[zoteroWinWordIntegration Exception... "This command is not available because no document is open." code: "0" function: "zoteroWinWordApplication::GetActiveDocument" location: ".\zoteroWinWordApplication.cpp"]"]

Next, I tried closing and reopening my Word documents and restarting Firefox. I still had the same problem. The error log now says:

[JavaScript Error: "nsISupports is not defined" {file: "file:///C:/Users/Joy/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/qh96yft5.default/extensions/%7B2fa4ed95-0317-4c6a-a74c-5f3e3912c1f9%7D/components/nsYDebugService.js" line: 148}]

[JavaScript Error: "nsISupports is not defined" {file: "file:///C:/Users/Joy/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/qh96yft5.default/extensions/%7B2fa4ed95-0317-4c6a-a74c-5f3e3912c1f9%7D/components/nsYDebugService.js" line: 148}]

[JavaScript Error: "[zoteroWinWordIntegration Exception... "This command is not available because no document is open." code: "0" function: "zoteroWinWordApplication::GetActiveDocument" location: ".\zoteroWinWordApplication.cpp"]"]

And the new Report ID is: 260651828

Thank you!
Joy
  • In case this is helpful to anyone else, after reading through the Forum threads at

http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/8703/1/ms-word-plugin-document-update-problem/

and

http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/9054/report-id-1061075235-plugin-with-word-2003-error-updating-your-document/

I realized that my habit of saving my Word documents in 97-2003 compatibility mode might be the problem. I copied my document content into a new document and saved it without using compatibility mode, and all seems to be working well again.

I'm so glad, because Zotero is great!
    Joy