Warning when adding proxy while blocking third-party cookies

I just wasted a bit of time trouble-shooting prola.aps.org because Zotero grabbed it nicely when accessing from a subscribed IP, but failed when I went through a proxy subscription.

It seemed the problem was that I was blocking third party cookies, and when accessing this page, the proxy was a "third party". The problem was easy to fix, by explicitly allowing the proxy to set cookies.

I propose that Zotero checks whether third-party cookies are blocked when a proxy is added. If they are, alert the user to the possible problems. Maybe there could even be a button to put the proxy in the allow-cookie list. (And don't show the warning if it's there already). Or, the over-intrusive option, just add it to the list without asking.

Would this make sense?
  • I like that - we've have seen a lot of this third party cookie issue recently.
  • Did you try in Firefox 3.6? As the known issues page notes, the main issue with the third-party cookies setting is fixed in Firefox 3.6. It's possible there's still an actual third-party cookie issue when using proxies, but that needs to be checked.
  • Didn't try 3.6, I run latest stable FF.

It sounds good that this might be fixed browser-side soon. I guess there is not much point in working on this till it's clear how it turns out. I hear 3.6 will go stable very soon, if I have time I can test it again then and have a look. Thx!