In-text citations

Hi,
I'm using Zotero in MsWord for Mac, in which I have set the citation style to APA 7th edition.
Even though there is a question with in-text citations like (J. A. Russell, 1980) that include first name abbreviations, which I think is OK according to this new version of APA citation style, according to what I've read in this forum and in APA manual.
However, there is one in-text citation that I'm not able to get it right:
"Herrando, Jiménez-Martínez, Martín-De Hoyos, & Constantinides, 2022".
I cannot understand why this citation is appearing like this.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Regards,
Pedro
  • Did you check that the authors are correctly entered in Zotero, and not just all in one field?
  • Also, note that APA requires adding (and Zotero adds) additional authors instead of using et al. when there are different author groups, so you'd get the above if you have

Herrando, Jiménez-Martínez, Martín-De Hoyos, & Constantinides, 2022
    and
    Herrando, Jiménez-Martínez, Martín-De Hoyos, & Smith, 2021
  • @damnation
    I did check that.

@adamsmith
    Why is that? What do you mean by different author groups?
    This is the only case where this happens.
    I have
    Herrando, Jiménez-Martínez, Martín-De Hoyos, & Constantinides, 2022
    and
    Herrando, Jiménez-Martínez, Martín-De Hoyos, Asakawa, & Yana, 2022

Is this to differentiate the two references? And when, for example, a or b is added to the year to also differentiate papers from the same 1st author and year?
  • edited August 4, 2023
    Yup, those two would do it. APA uses 2022a, 2022b only when referring to works by the exact same author(s)
  • edited August 4, 2023
    My next Ph.D. will be in referenciation.
    But is this really correct? I haven't seen this in scientific articles.
    Even my supervisors are saying that these references are wrong... Ah ah ah ah.
    So I have to undo the changes I did manually :(. Is there any way to get those back to the original style?
  • Ambiguity in APA in-text citations
    >Multiple works with 3+ authors that shorten to the same form (i.e., same first author(s) and date).
    >Include as many names as needed to distinguish the citations.

This make sense, but it is not common case so you don't see it often