Indian Journal of Law and Legal Research : translator possible?

edited August 1, 2023
The metadata for this journal is spread across several web pages and building a Zotero translator may be all but impossible.

The problem is that it is common to see articles from this journal cited in social science journals published in the USA and Europe. The authors must be entering the citation metadata by hand.

To gather all relevant metadata for articles in this journal is necessary to copy the page range from one page, the abstract from another page, and download the pdf file from still another page; import the PDF into Zotero, and then paste the page range and abstract to the record. The journal's ISSN isn't available with any of its metadata so that must be also pasted into the Zotero record.

A link to the table of contents for the current issue:
https://www.ijllr.com/volume-v-issue-iii

Example article

https://doi-ds.org/doilink/06.2023-36182354/A1

The webpage headers are astoundingly busy with all manner of CSS and scripts.
  • It isn't pretty, but I think most metadata elements can be located in the final DOM without too much trouble. The problems I am seeing right now:
    1. The translator might not be very robust; the CSS classes have very opaque identifiers and the website owners could easily change the DOM structure without warning and break the translator.
    2. Some content would need extra logic to structure it properly: for example, each author's title+full name+affiliation seems to be just one character string, not sure how reliably this could be parsed.

So... maybe?
  • edited August 1, 2023
    Quick update: the website doesn't like the Zotero Scaffold browser, I only get "Your Browser Is No Longer Supported", which complicates development. I suppose it's due to the quite old Firefox version on which Zotero 6 is based - things will probably work better using Zotero 7 but I personally would rather wait until it's out of beta.
  • As I suspected, the IJLLR web pages are loading correctly in Zotero 7 beta. I'll see what I can do!
  • That will be wonderful.