cannot edit existing citation microisoft word

I cannot edit an existing citation. If i try to edit the citation, e.g. in order to add another reference to the citation, then the small pop-up bar will, in which I can add my citation appears. However, the fromer reference is gone, and cannot be found again. Essentially if I want to edit my citations, I can only do so by deleting the old one, inserting the new including old and new references and then pressing enter. How can I fix this? I am sure that there is a way to edit a citation without this making this enormous effort. (withich to the "classic add citation view" does not fix the problem either.

Report ID 92839941
  • dstillman Zotero Team
    Two possibilities:

    1) The citation dialog is already open behind your other windows, so when you click Add/Edit Citation, it's just bringing it to the front.

    2) Your citations have been flattened. See Existing Citations Not Detected.

    If you don't think it's either of those things, restart Zotero and provide a Debug ID for reproducing this.
  • I did close everything, even shut the computer down. Now that I opened my document again, unfortunatley the problem remains.
    If I try to edit an existing citation, i highlight the citation, then i click on the "add/edit citation" icon. A small rectangular pop-up window opens, it does not show my exisitng references. If I now "edit" the existing citation by including a reference in the pop-up window and press enter, the "newest" reference will show in the citation; however, all the "old" references are deleted.
    I really woul like to fix this, as this slows down my writing process extremly.

    report ID: 2142947027
  • Now I tried closing everything, then opened a complete new word document. typed in text. Added a citation. Tried to edit that citation. Same problem as described before. "editing" a citation is not possible. It will delete the content of the old citation and only add the new reference to the citation.
  • dstillman Zotero Team
    edited July 14, 2023
    We need 1) the exact steps you're following, with every single thing you're doing as described there, and 2) a Debug ID, not a Report ID. Do this in a new, empty document.
Sign In or Register to comment.