Error starting Zotero after update

Having updated Zotero, I am now receiving the error message below when I try to start it up. I've tried uninstalling and installing again, with no luck. Any advice?

There was an error starting Zotero.

You can report this problem in the Zotero Forums.

Error: Could not open connection to N:\Zotero\zotero.sqlite: 2153971714
openConnection/</<@resource://gre/modules/Sqlite.jsm:945:21
From previous event:
Zotero.DBConnection.prototype._getConnectionAsync@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js:1191:30
  • Hi, You updated from which version to which version?

You might try to do backup of you zotero folder,
    rename the latest zotero.sqlite to any other name, and try to rename `zotero.sqlite.bak` to `zotero.sqlite` (make copies of your databese file somewhere); you might try as well to downgrade to previous version and try to do the same

Remember to backup those files, in case something go more wrong, you can try to restore it
  • edited July 11, 2023
    Someone have similar error not related to update, it might help (or not)
    the discussion has 2 pages
    https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/80174/can-not-open-zotero
  • @sunbird: That would be some problem accessing the Zotero database on your network/external drive — either the drive letter changed or there's some other problem.

If you're having trouble with a network drive, you should move your data directory back to the local disk. While network drives sometimes work, they frequently don't fully mirror the behavior of normal disks, and we can't provide support for that.

If you're not able to fix this, you should open the prefs.js file in your Zotero profile directory and remove the dataDir and useDataDir lines to reset it back to the default location on your local disk.
  • Thanks, that's very helpful.

@dstillman, the issue is definitely with a network drive. I've figured out that when I'm off-campus I now need to be connected via VPN (which I never did before). Can you please advise how I go about moving my directory back to the local disk? Thanks so much.
  • Move the folder back to be named "Zotero" in your home folder — that's the default location. When you restart Zotero, it might automatically detect that and offer to switch back to the default location. If you continue to get the above error, you'll need to do what I say re: prefs.js to clear your custom data directory setting.
  • Thanks, appreciate the quick response.