Help me make sense of the metadata fields based on recommended reference format

I'm writing a translator and trying to make sense of these guidelines for citation from Cologne Digital Sanskrit Dictionaries:

How to cite in academic publications?

In text citation

(Cologne Digital Sanskrit Dictionaries)

Bibliographic reference

Cologne Digital Sanskrit Dictionaries, version 2.4.79,
Cologne University, accessed on April 13, 2023,
https://www.sanskrit-lexicon.uni-koeln.de

My questions are related to mapping the info therein into Zotero fields.

1. What is the closest citation style to this?
2. The recommended format uses the root URL for the site as the URL. Meanwhile, it is possible to link to specific entries using permalinks, such as this one for the word हृद्. When a permalink is available, is that preferable as the URL field, despite the recommended reference format?
3. What should the "author" field be, based on the recommended format and common practice? Is "Cologne Digital Sanskrit Dictionaries" here an author field?

(@adamsmith I appreciate your thoughts)
  • Generally we don't feel particularly obligated to follow "recommended" citations - it's much more important to follow citation styles ' guidance consistently.

1. This is pretty generic, but looks a bit like Chicago full note
    2. That's one example. Definitely save the permalink to URL when citing a particular entry.
    3. Encyclopedia and dictionary entries often don't have an author. I think that's the right call here. Cologne Digital Sanskrit Dictionaries" would be the publication
  • Hello @adamsmith, thank you.

And I found your post in this thread about citing ChatGPT-generated content. The recommended citation to the digital dictionaries looked a bit like the one generated for the type "software" discussed there. It sort of matches the MLA style for "software" if the fields are put together: (Cologne Digital Sanskrit Dictionaries) and
    Cologne Digital Sanskrit Dictionaries. version 2.4.79, Cologne University, 13 Apr. 2023, https://www.sanskrit-lexicon.uni-koeln.de.
    (with itemType = "software", title = "Cologne Digital...", version = "version 2.4.79", company = "Cologne University", and url)

So I suspect that the "recommended" way could be for the web app and not about individual digitized dictionary books and entries in them at all. This makes more sense now. Thanks!