Easier sharing of documents with citations

Consider this use case. I am writing a document using my personal library and decide to take colleague as a coauthor. What I currently need to do to accomplish this is to first copy all the references to a group library that we have both access to. Then I need to manually change each citation to point to the copy of the reference in the group library.

I would very much like to see an automated feature for this second step. This could be an in my end to to have a function to identify a primary library for the document and then automatically replace all citations that are in some other library and the primary library. Also some automation in replacing the citations on my coauthor's computer would probably be possible.
  • agree, something along these lines would be great.
    Even simpler, is there any reason why the citations in the group library shouldn't have the same unique identifier? (there probably is, but asking can't hurt...)
  • is there any reason why the citations in the group library shouldn't have the same unique identifier?
    Yes, since they're not the same record.

Fixing this is going to take a fundamental rethink.
  • I just got a nice idea how this could be implemented, but I have a paper deadline in an hour and a half. I will explain it after that ;)
  • Don't have time to get into this at the moment, but for an explanation of why they're separate (but linked) items, see http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/8359/groups-and-item-notes/#Item_6 and down.

Various merging functionality between personal and group libraries hasn't yet been unimplemented, which is part of why this seems awkward. The word processor plugins also have the ability to link to multiple item URIs (such that if you dragged a cited item to a group and clicked Refresh in the document, the document would get the group item's URI as well, and a colleague in that group would then be able to use the group item automatically), but that hasn't been fully implemented yet.
  • oh wonderful - thanks Dan for the update.
  • As you probably know, endnote does this with a feature called "traveling library". This means that all citation information is stored within the field.

Here is an example of one field

ADDIN EN.CITE <EndNote><Cite><Author>Johanson</Author><Year>1975</Year><RecNum>25</RecNum><record><rec-number>25</rec-number><ref-type name="Journal Article">17</ref-type><contributors><authors><author>Jan Johanson</author><author>F. Wiedersheim-Paul</author></authors></contributors><titles><title>The Internationalization of the Firm: Four Swedish Case Studies</title><secondary-title>Journal of Management Studies</secondary-title></titles><periodical><full-title>Journal of Management Studies</full-title></periodical><dates><year>1975</year></dates><urls></urls><language>English</language></record></Cite><Cite><Author>Johanson</Author><Year>1977</Year><RecNum>13</RecNum><record><rec-number>13</rec-number><ref-type name="Journal Article">17</ref-type><contributors><authors><author>Jan Johanson</author><author>Jan-Erik Vahlne</author></authors></contributors><titles><title>The Internationalization Process of the Firm - A Model of Knowledge Development and Increasing Foreign Market Commitments</title><secondary-title>Journal of International Business Studies</secondary-title></titles><periodical><full-title>Journal of International Business Studies</full-title></periodical><volume>8</volume><number>1</number><dates><year>1977</year></dates><work-type>Research paper</work-type><urls><pdf-urls><url>internal-pdf://Uppsala's_model-1005509888/Uppsala's_model.pdf</url></pdf-urls></urls></record></Cite></EndNote>

One way to fix the issue of sharing documents would be to store the citation data in citations. When a coauthor that is new to the paper uses Zotero and there is a citation that is not found in his/her library, instead of asking for a replacement, Zotero could offer to import the embedded citation and asks the user to select a library to which the citation is imported.
  • I believe that's planned - I've heard embedded citation data mentioned before.
  • Sounds good!