Advice on duplicate everything?

I'm not sure what happened, but in the course of my institution pushing upgrades without warning that I can't control directly, and me synching to zotero.org in search of missing content, I now have two copies of each folder in my library. There are also two copies of each item that's in a folder in Duplicates. Argh. These duplicates are on both my local computer and also in my zotero.org web library.

The duplication involves about thirty folders but several thousand items. I'm looking for advice about the most efficient way to clean everything up.

If I delete an entire collection folder will the items inside it also be deleted (moved to trash)? Is there any difference between doing this in the app or at zotero.org? Or would it be better to empty the folder first (move items to trash in app, for example) and then delete the folder?

Thanks for any advice. I hope this won't take too many hours!

SLG
  • edited July 3, 2023
    You would get duplicates by using export/import, including by exporting your library to another computer and then syncing both computers.

You can likely just sort your library by Date Added and delete an entire batch at once. (Make sure you choose the batch that you haven't used in any word processor documents, or else you'll break links to citations.)

If you want to do it by collection, make sure you right-click on the collection and choose Delete Collection and Items. If you just delete the collection the items will stay in the library.

You want to do this in the desktop app, not the web library.