How to use specific line from extra field in style template?

I have installed better bibtex addon and its generated two lines in extra field:

Citation Key: rs12132114
tex.article-number: 2114

How to properly put second line in csl template? When I try add '< text variable="tex.article-number"/ >' nothing happen, but if insert < text variable="note"/ > - all extra field content will be shown (both lines).

Zotero v. 6.0.26
Better BibTex for Zotero v. 6.7.79
  • Is there a good candidate field for `article-number` in Zotero?
  • (appears in some other contexts, but for articles it's article number)
  • That's also just the `number` field in Zotero right?
  • I think the item @orion7 was trying to import was this

@Article{rs12132114,
    AUTHOR = {Kolbe, Christine and Thies, Boris and Turini, Nazli and Liu, Zhiyu and Bendix, Jörg},
    TITLE = {Precipitation Retrieval over the Tibetan Plateau from the Geostationary Orbit—Part 2: Precipitation Rates with Elektro-L2 and Insat-3D},
    JOURNAL = {Remote Sensing},
    VOLUME = {12},
    YEAR = {2020},
    NUMBER = {13},
    ARTICLE-NUMBER = {2114},
    URL = {https://www.mdpi.com/2072-4292/12/13/2114},
    ISSN = {2072-4292},
    ABSTRACT = {We present the new Precipitation REtrieval covering the TIbetan Plateau (PRETIP) as a feasibility study using the two geostationary (GEO) satellites Elektro-L2 and Insat-3D with reference to the GPM (Global Precipitation Measurement Mission) IMERG (Integrated Multi-satellitE Retrievals for GPM) product. The present study deals with the assignment of the rainfall rate. For precipitation rate assignment, the best-quality precipitation estimates from the gauge calibrated microwave (MW) within the IMERG product were combined with the GEO data by Random Forest (RF) regression. PRETIP was validated with independent MW precipitation information not considered for model training and revealed a good performance on 30 min and 11 km spatio-temporal resolution with a correlation coefficient of R = 0.59 and outperforms the validation of the independent MW precipitation with IMERG&rsquo;s IR only product (R = 0.18). A comparison of PRETIP precipitation rates in 4 km resolution with daily rain gauge measurements from the Chinese Ministry of Water Resources revealed a correlation of R = 0.49. No differences in the performance of PRETIP for various elevation ranges or between the rainy (July, August) and the dry (May, September) season could be found.},
    DOI = {10.3390/rs12132114}
    }

and this already has a `number` field. I'm not sure what best to translate `article-number` to in this case.
  • But bibtex number is CSL/Zotero "issue" isn't it?
  • edited July 1, 2023
    I'm not sure. From the biblatex manual:

issue field (literal)
    The issue of a journal. This field is intended for journals whose individual issues
    are identified by a designation such as ‘Spring’ or ‘Summer’ rather than the month
    or a number.

number field (literal)
    The number of a journal or the volume/number of a book in a series.

Maybe issue/number are not both supposed to be in one entry, and they have roughly the same meaning with just slightly different rules. I'll go ask my resident biblatex expert.
  • weird -- I don't know what the "number of a journal" even is and I've been doing this for... a while. In this specific case, "13" is definitely the issue number -- see the breadcrumbs at the top of https://www.mdpi.com/2072-4292/12/13/2114
  • I've just checked the biber-tool rules, and those allow `number` and `issue` to both be in entries.
  • edited July 1, 2023
    Unfortunately, bib(la)tex data quality in the wild is pretty bad, so even if in this specific case `13` is the issue number, I'm not sure that's meant to be so. Nick Bart will usually get back to me within a day on questions like this.
  • The full text for `number` is
    The number of a journal or the volume/number of a book in a series. See also
    issue as well as §§ 2.3.7, 2.3.10, 2.3.11. With @patent entries, this is the number or
    record token of a patent or patent request. Normally this field will be an integer or an
    integer range, but it may also be a short designator that is not entirely numeric such
    as “S1”, “Suppl. 2”, “3es”. In these cases the output should be scrutinised carefully.
    Since number is—maybe counterintuitively given its name—a literal field, sorting
    templates will not treat its contents as integers, but as literal strings, which means
    that “11” may sort between “1” and “2”. If integer sorting is desired, the field can be
    declared an integer field in a custom data model (see § 4.5.4). But then the sorting of
    non-integer values is not well defined.
    The ‘article number’ or ‘paper number’, which can be used instead of—or along
    with—a page range to pinpoint a specific article within another work, goes into the
    eid field.
    which for article does suggest to me that `number` and `issue` mean roughly the same:
    The terms ‘number’, ‘issue’ and even ‘issue number’ are often used synonymously
    by journals to refer to the subdvision of a volume. The fact that biblatex’s data
    model has fields of both names can sometimes lead to confusion about which field
    should be used. First and foremost the word that the journal uses for the subdivsion
    of a volume should be of minor importance, what matters is the role in the data
    model. As a rule of thumb number is the right field in most circumstances. In
    the standard styles number modifies volume, whereas issue modifies the date
    (year) of the entry. Numeric identifiers and short designators that are not necessarily
    (entirely) numeric such as ‘A’, ‘S1’, ‘C2’, ‘Suppl. 3’, ‘4es’ would go into the number
    field, because they usually modify the volume. The output of—especially longer—
    non-numeric input for number should be checked since it could potentially look
    odd with some styles. The field issue can be used for designations such as ‘Spring’,
    ‘Winter’ or ‘Michaelmas term’ if that is commonly used to refer to the journal.
    The ‘article number’ or ‘paper number’, which can be used instead of—or along
    with—a page range to pinpoint a specific article within another work, goes into the
    eid field, whose placement in the standard styles is similar to the analogous pages
    field.
  • Yeah, I don't think we'd want that level or precision for the Zotero data model.
    Going by this, I'd default Zotero issue to biblatex number and maybe code exceptions for Spring & the other seasons.

On import, I'd import number and issue to issue and concat both (with a comma) for the very rare cases that you have both.

We don't have a Zotero field for article-number, but that closely corresponds to CSL number and there's a good chance will have a proper Zotero field in the future.
  • That's now the new behavior in BBT (once the test suite finishes)