absolute path files

Hi, I have been using Zotero for a long time with Zotfile plugin because I needed to use Zotero on multiple devices (private and work computer) and could not afford Zotero cloud storage. However I have decided to work only on my work computer and now I would like to stop using Zotfile plugin.

I am not sure how to use Zotero with absolute path directory – more specifically I am not sure what will happen with my files when I click on "revert to absolute path". Where would my files be?

Plus, When I attach a new file to an item, where will this file move?

Will anything change for me? I was used to downloading a pdf, attaching it to an item and then deleting it from my download folder so I did not have to care with a pdf mess :D

Another thing is, do I have to store my file on hard drive or is there an option to keep it on iCloud with absolute path? Sometimes I would like to access my files from iPad or phone. Keeping things on iCloud makes me feel a bit safer since I do not want to loose them in case my MacBook dies etc.

Thank you

• edited July 1, 2023
    The process of converting from linked files (back) to local Zotero storage is:
    Tools\Manage Attachments\Convert Linked Files to Stored Files

You select the items for which you want to do this first, in the main panel. So try it with a small selection of files first, to make sure it works in the way you expect. It should move your attachments from their linked location path to a Zotero local storage path (right click Show File will show you where each PDF file is then located).

IIUC the Revert to Absolute Paths option (under Linked Attachment Base Directory) you mention has no relevance here. It only affects where Zotero *looks* for linked files - it does not move files. But in any case you no longer want linked files.

You could *back up* Zotero\storage to a personal cloud location, but you can't set the working zotero data directory location (where Zotero's sqlite database is stored, and under which local PDFs are also stored) to such a cloud-mirrored location without risking serious problems.

If you want to maintain easy access to your PDFs *outside* of Zotero - eg in a single (cloud) folder - that would be a reason for staying with Zotfile/linked files. Or save an OS search for local PDFs stored in the Zotero\storage folder hierarchy.