Using Zotero's PDF reader with external files?

I'm having a hard time getting a definitive answer to this question. I gather that the built-in PDF reader can only be used with stored files, because every time I set Zotero to open in the built-in reader, it creates a new (stored) file despite the fact that I have a linked file. But I have never seen this stated directly. Does anyone know for sure? (I'm asking because, in an ideal world, I would use the reader for linked files. I know that the marks made in the built-in PDF reader can only be viewed within Zotero, and I'm okay with that. But for storage/$ reasons, I just don't want to use the stored files in Zotero.)

Thanks!
  • No, that's not the case. You would have to describe in more detail what you are seeing, but the pdf reader works for linked files.
  • Sorry, somehow I missed this reply. I did ultimately get the PDF reader working without creating a new stored file each time. In case others have this problem, I believe that the fix was located in a setting within Zotero (though it's too long ago for me to remember the exact one).