Lack of citation uniformity

Can anyone assist me in determining why my footnotes are not cited uniformly across a document? I am using OSCOLA and when an article is cited for a second time, in some instances it cites it with the author's surname and article title while in other instances it is cited with just the author name, reference to the first citation (eg. n20) and the page number. I can't figure out why it isn't uniform. Anyone have any insight?
  • Could you provide a couple of examples of first and subsequent citation? Impossible to say without more details
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Where a source is being referenced for the second (or more) time, some sources will look like this:
    1) Crenshaw, 'Mapping the Margins' (n92)

While others will do it like this:

2) Gordon (n80) - i.e with no title and just the author's surname and reference to the first citation.

There's no consistency in the way the footnotes are recorded, with some sources cited as 1 and others as 2. I can't figure out why there is a discrepancy and how to change it so it is uniform. I've tried to edit the source in Zotero but that only edits one footnote and doesn't change the rest.

This is using OSCOLA as the referencing system.
  • In line with the OSCOLA guide, Zotero only adds short titles to citations where they're needed for disambiguation, i.e. you likely have at least two works by Crenshaw cited.