Citations unlinked after uploading to Google Drive

edited June 3, 2023
This discussion was created from comments split from: Zotero unlinking citations in google docs.
  • Hello, I have the same issue with the citations unlinking when working in Google Docs. It is definitely not just caused by the lack of Zotero Connector. I just now finished re-linking the citations manually, uploaded the document on Google Drive, edited it from Google Docs (just added a letter) and the citations got unlinked, even though I have the Zotero Connector on my browser.

Could you please investigate this?
  • What do you mean by "uploaded the document on Google Drive"? If you're saying you took a Word document with Zotero citations and just uploaded that to Google Drive, that will certainly break all your citations. Moving Documents with Zotero Citations Between Word Processors explains how to transfer documents between word processors.
  • Clicking "Switch to a Different Word Processor" produces an error leads me to the troubleshooter.

https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/debugging_broken_documents

The citation unlinking happens not during the upload, but when Google Docs saves the docx file (i.e. after a small edit).
  • At what point exactly do you get that error?
    That's the only way to transfer to Google with citations.