problem with harvard citation (et al)

Hello there,

I am having a problem with my assignment and the citations.
So far i am using havard right cite 12 and everything was ok.
Recently though my zotero adds 'et al' in citations only if there are 4+ writers.
If they are three it adds them all.I have asked my supervisors regarding this and they can not help me.They said that in more than three we should put et al.

For example
In these articles

For instance in these two Articles :

Lane, A.S., Roberts, C. and Khanna, P. (2020) ‘Do We Know Who the Person With the Borderline Score is, in Standard-Setting and Decision-Making’, Health Professions Education, 6(4), pp. 617–625. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hpe.2020.07.001.

Instead of (Lane et al.2020) my zotero generates the citation (Lane, Roberts and Khanna, 2020).

I have the same issue with this article too.

El Hussein, M.T., Harvey, G. and Bell, N. (2022) ‘The Influence of Nursing Simulation on Patient Outcomes and Patient Safety: A Scoping Review’, Clinical Simulation in Nursing, 70, pp. 37–46. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2022.06.004.

When I try to cite it on my zotero a citation of (El Hussein, Harvey and Bell, 2022) is generated instead of (El Hussein et al)

I thought that if we have three or more authors the citation should be (First Author et al).

Am I doing something wrong as in my previous assignment it was mentioned that my citations were not according to harvard reference style?has something changed and now these new citations are acceptable?

The weird thing is that when I put them on my zotero machine to insert into the text the correct format of citations seems to appear ie (Lane et al)-but as soon as I press enter to insert it in my text the citation (Lane, Roberts and Khanna, 2020) is generated and goes straight into my assignment.

I have printscreens of these but I do not know how to post them here.

I asked my tutors for this problem and I took literally vague answers-non helpful at all.

Any idea what I should do?
  • I use Harvard (Australia) with the institution where I am studying and the citation style you describe that Zotero produces is correct. Only when there are more than 3 authors should et al. be used.

Author prominent citation would be: "Smith, Bloggs and Jones (2020) suggest" and information prominent would be: "The study of economics is valuable (Smith, Bloggs & Jones 2920).
  • Different styles have different rules about this. We'd need to know which 'Harvard' style @Nikolasgeorgiou is using to say more