Word In-Text Citation is Not Functioning Correctly

Hi there,
I am experiencing difficulties with the in-text citation plugin in Microsoft Word.

While it sometimes works as intended, I keep encountering one of two problems:

1. When I insert a citation, the word 'citation' appears rather than the citation itself.
2. Sometimes it will include an extremely body string of text including technical meta-data, and the abstract of the paper.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Ciaran
  • You probably just triggered field codes. See:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/word_field_codes
  • Thanks damnation!

I have that option unchecked in Microsoft Word already.

Anything else I can do?
  • Which citation style do you have selected under Document Preferences?
    Can you post an excerpt from your document that shows the problem?
  • Thanks for the response.

American Psychological Association (APA) 7th

The issue is that sometimes it works, and other times it will just include field code.

It is a large document and Zotero library - I wonder is there a processing time lag?
  • Here is what I am seeing currently for a citation I tried to insert

{Citation}
  • Alternatively, I get this:

ADDIN ZOTERO_ITEM CSL_CITATION {"citationID":"a23g26qv6ur","properties":{"formattedCitation":"\\uldash{(Metcalf et al., 2019)}","plainCitation":"(Metcalf et al., 2019)","noteIndex":0},"citationItems":[{"id":11357,"uris":["http://zotero.org/users/6748787/items/B88BZZ4K"],"itemData":{"id":11357,"type":"article-journal","abstract":"This article explores how a collaboration technology called Artificial Swarm Intelligence (ASI) addresses the limitations associated with group decision making, amplifies the intelligence of human groups, and facilitates better business decisions. It demonstrates of how ASI has been used by businesses to harness the diverse perspectives that individual participants bring to groups and to facilitate convergence upon decisions. It advances the understanding of how artificial intelligence (AI) can be used to enhance, rather than replace, teams as they collaborate to make business decisions.","container-title":"California Management Review","DOI":"10.1177/0008125619862256","ISSN":"0008-1256","issue":"4","journalAbbreviation":"Calif. Manage. Rev.","language":"English","note":"publisher-place: Thousand Oaks\npublisher: Sage Publications Inc\nWOS:000478318200001","page":"84-109","source":"Web of Science Nextgen","title":"Keeping Humans in the Loop: Pooling Knowledge through Artificial Swarm Intelligence to Improve Business Decision Making","title-short":"Keeping Humans in the Loop","volume":"61","author":[{"family":"Metcalf","given":"Lynn"},{"family":"Askay","given":"David A."},{"family":"Rosenberg","given":"Louis B."}],"issued":{"date-parts":[["2019",8]]}}}],"schema":"https://github.com/citation-style-language/schema/raw/master/csl-citation.json"} (Metcalf et al., 2019)
  • That's exactly what I wrote and linked to above. Those are field codes. If you turn them off, as explained in the article, you'll see the rendered citation.
  • If you just see {citation} that's a placeholder, likely indeed because the process hasn't finished.