Selected field XIPHJJ not returned from Docs backend

I’ve been using zotero and google docs to write my thesis and haven’t had any issues until now. I combined multiple documents (chapters of my thesis) into a full draft. It then unlinked about half of the citations and prompted me to indicate which sources were used, so I manually picked like 65 sources and then it froze. I had to force quit zotero and refresh the document to be able to access it again. Since then, whenever I try and add a citation or relink anything, it’s been saying “locked due to another user using it” so I click the button and override it, it operates like normal until it’s supposed to update the document, and then it freezes.

Now, it’s saying “selected field XIPHJJ not returned from Docs backend”. I upgraded my storage, restarted my computer, have done some googling, and i’m not sure what to do to fix it.

I even tried to use it on a different document and it’s doing the same thing.

I just downloaded the newest version in case it wasn't updated and cleared all of my cookies on google and it's still sending me the message about Docs backend. What do I do?
  • Report ID: 1096418708

I'm using a Google Docs plug in on a macbook pro.
  • Steps to Reproduce:

1. Enter google docs document & click on unlinked reference
    2. It either says: "selected field XIPHJJ not returned from Docs backend" or "document locked due to another user editing it" (the document is only shared to me and no other tabs are using it)
    3. In the case of the locked document, I override it & it allows me to search my reference in re red bar
    4. it either immediately freezes on the loading screen or it prompts a few citation changes and then freezes on the red bar and "zotero is updating document, please wait"
  • edited May 30, 2023
    {
    "error": {
    "code": 429,
    "message": "Resource has been exhausted (e.g. check quota).",
    "status": "RESOURCE_EXHAUSTED"
    }
    }
    You're getting an error from Google Docs due to too many requests being made, likely due to the size of the document.

Wait a little while before trying again. If you continue to have trouble, you should transfer the individual chapters to Word or LibreOffice and combine them into a single document there. Google Docs, by virtue of being on online service, is much more limited when it comes to very large documents, and we wouldn't generally recommend trying to work on a thesis in a single document there.
  • Also, regarding the unlinked citations, how did you combine the document? Using copy/paste or drag-and-drop? Dragging text with Zotero citations will break the citations. Copying should work, though it's possible if you hit the above rate-limit error due to the size of the document the citations could become unlinked — we'll have to test that.
  • I used copy/paste to combine the document.

If I transfer my documents over to Word, can I just copy paste them? If I add Zotero to Word, will it be able to register the citations that were created using the docs plug in?