iPad file syncing quota bug?

edited May 29, 2023
My Mac uploaded files to Zotero Web Library. Everything was there when I logged into Web Library on web browser in iPad. But the iPad client refused to download. Stuck in a state from two days ago. But no error messages.

I resolved it, method at the end.

I suspect the reason was the following: I had paid for 2 GB, then upgraded to 6 GB storage, but when auto-renew w credit card should have taken place two days ago, it apparently did not. When I tried to add a new item on iPad I was notified I was out of storage. Logging in, I detected that I had been downgraded to non-paid quota of 300 MB. although I had over 2GB uploaded and a renewal for 6GB should have been made. I sent a support mail and received a receipt for payment quite quickly and my quota was restored to 6 GB.

Everything then worked fine again on my Mac. But my iPad did not sync. Nothing worked: Pulling down on item list, quitting Zotero on iPad, restarting iPad. Still when logging into Web Library on iPad everything was there. But the client refused to sync.
I read all of this but it did not help: https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/files_not_syncing

Eventually I logged out from Zotero in the iPad client and then logged in fresh. The client then downloaded all data from scratch, and sync works again.
  • We can't debug it at this point. Note you didn't actually follow the Files Not Syncing steps — they request specific information to let us debug the problem if it's not resolved. Without that, there's nothing we can do.
  • You don't have to do anything. I resolved it. I wanted to inform you.
  • Right, but I'm saying that there's no point in posting here if you don't follow our bug-reporting instructions and provide the information we would need to actually fix any problem.
  • edited May 29, 2023
    But yes, I followed File syncing steps. But this case is not there. It is not covered on that page. I come to the end of instructions, but nothing fits. I come to the last step, Point 8, Item B: "If Device B is an iPad or iPhone, generate a Debug ID for an attempt to open the file and post it to the Zotero Forums.". But no, I don't try to open a file. I try to make items from the Web Library appear in the client.

Anyway, I have no problem, but the software has a bug.
  • If you're not talking about files not syncing, then that's not the relevant troubleshooting page. For data-syncing problems, the relevant page would be Changes Not Syncing, which also asks for a Debug ID.

I'm not sure why this is confusing? While we always appreciate bug reports, I'm explaining that there's no point in coming here and claiming the software has a bug if you don't follow our bug-reporting steps and provide the information that lets us actually debug it. There's just literally nothing we can do with your report.

If you encounter a problem in the future, you can follow the troubleshooting steps and provide the requested info, and we'll investigate.

Closing this so as to not waste any more of anyone's time.
This discussion has been closed.