STRONG Suggestion: add a "ADD TEXT COMMENT" or "TYPEWRITER" feature to Zotero's built-in PDF Reader

Dear Zotero Developers,

I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to express a feature request that I believe would significantly enhance the functionality of Zotero's built-in PDF reader, thereby improving the experience of many users, including myself and my academic colleagues. (cf: https://forums.zotero.org/search/?Search=typewriter)

Specifically, we would greatly appreciate it if you could enrich the annotation/comment capabilities within the PDF reader to facilitate literature reading, idea recording, and subsequent reviews. The feature we have in mind is akin to the "ADD TEXT COMMENT" or "TYPEWRITER" feature (can be found in Adobe Acrobat DC, where you type arbitrary comments and show directly on the page).

The distinct advantage of this type of annotation/comment over the current "NOTE" feature is that the text of the annotation/comment is directly displayed on the page, rather than requiring the user to click the "NOTE" icon to view the text. This makes the annotations/comments more direct, clear, and immediately visible, which is particularly beneficial for subsequent readings. Without this feature, it is less convenient to take notes on, distill, and reflect on the content of the PDFs.

In addition, some of my colleagues have expressed a desire for an "UNDERLINE" annotation/comment feature. The enrichment of annotation/comment functions is of great significance for literature reading and processing tools.

We understand that developing and implementing new features takes time and resources, but we believe that this enhancement would greatly improve the user experience and utility of Zotero. We kindly ask you to consider this request seriously, as many of my academic colleagues and I are troubled by this issue.

Thank you for your time and consideration. We look forward to seeing these improvements in future updates.

Best regards,

A Loyal Zotero User